cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Single OPC Server connects to multiple PLCS'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can Single OPC server can connecte to mutilpe PLC's? I am trying to understand the best approach to connect MII with shopfloor systems, there are PLC's( Allan-bradley & Omron on one machine) and there are 3 more machines with PLC's,sensors and Controllers on the shopfloor. If I think about OPC server, can one OPC Server enough to talk to different PLC's and shopfloor systems which can be DCS and Sensors. I was also thinking about PI systems such as OSISoft, is this also capable of talking to PLC's and DCS on the shopfloor. Please suggest me the best approach to connect to MII as there are no MES Systems exists on the shopfloor.

Many Thanks,

Prasad

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Prasad,

The two OPC Servers that I am most familiar with, Kepware Technology's KepServerEx, and Matrikon's MatrikonOPC, both have support for multiple PLC devices per server.   If any of the HMI or SCADA systems have OPC Server capability, it is usually only for the underlying HMI or SCADA system and what devices that system is connected to.

I would recommend that you get the shop floor engineers to work with you to generate a list of data items, the underlying source for each of the data items, and the requirements for collecting/storing/processing each of the data items.  After that is completed then you can determine the OPC server or Historian Server requirements, and then proceed with the Blueprinting of the MII design.

Regards, Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (0)