cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSSQL Server Collation Change during the IDM DB Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We are performing SAP NW IDM 7.2 Installation. The UI is planned on SAP NW CE 7.2. Windows 2008 and MSSQL Server 2008.

As per the Installation guide IDM DB requires Collation SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Collation

The collation used by the Identity Center database is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS.

The default collation for Microsoft SQL Server is SQL_Latin1_General_CP850_BIN2# , and this should

be changed before installing the Identity Center database. If the collations do not match, this may lead to

performance problems with the Identity Center database.

If we are using the NW CE 7.2 as the User Interface for the IDM. It requires the MSSQL Server Default collation while Installation. If we need to use the same server for the NWCE DB and IDM DB

1)What approach we can follow before installing the IDM database?

1. a) Install the MSSQL server with the default collation --> Install the NW CE 7.2 DB Instance -->Change the collation of the MSSQL Server to the IDM’s collation SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_ASàInstall the IDM DB
  2. b) Install the MSSQL server with the default collation --> Install the NW CE 7.2 DB Instance and Install an additional Instance in MSSQL Server with collation SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS à Install the IDM DB

Please advice.

Thanks & Regards,

Jyothi Janardanan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jyothi,

My experience has been that the default collation for NetWeaver works just fine for IDM as well. If you use the SAP version of SQL Server this is done automatically, (just watch out and read the documentation as some other install parameters and passwords are changed that you might want to deal with in the long run)

Otherwise, your DBA can assist you with customizing the install of SQL Server.  I've done this several times myself and it's not that hard.

Remember for a productive system, IDM and NW can share the same database, but should not have the applications installed on the same host.  This is fine in my opinion for Sandbox and Development envrironments. This is covered in one of SAP's sizing or architecture documents I believe.