cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you provide brief connectivity steps between BW and HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you please provide brief steps on connecting BW with HANA, i know we have to use BODS.

I will be having interview, defienetly expecting this question.

is it from BW  > Open hub > BODS > on BODS Source will be BW and target data store going to be HANA DB Schema?

Thanks a lot for the helpful info.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

We have two alternatives to connect directly to hana system without using Data services.

1)We can directly connect to BW to SAP HANA If u use SP05 version. we can directly import from SAP BW system but here we can import only infocube infoproviders only.

2) We can bring reltime data to BW by using Webservices Datasource extraction method to PSA from there we can bring by using Realtime Deamon.

Please give points if it suits you.

Thanks ,

Phani

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

On the lighter note,

If they ask you the question, challenge them on the point that if they already have BW, why to go for Standalone HANA and not BW on HANA.

In my personal opinion, if somebody is already using BW, then there has to be a strong reason and significantly high IT budget to decommission the BW landscape and implement your business critical application on Standalone HANA.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravindra, you make sense but I was wondering if HANA is a much better and simpler product for data modeling than BW, won't it make sense to slowly make a transition to HANA and eliminate BW. Why be stuck with BW forever?

I know companies have already invested heavily in BW, but HANA is far better. (If there is a company that doesn't have BW, it makes sense for them to get HANA and skip BW altogether).

Doesn't it make sense long term to make SAP efficient and move towards HANA (I know the company is going to regret investing so much on BW)?

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mic:

As of today, BW is a mature product and also is much cheaper system to maintain.

However, long-term SAP BW usage will fade away transitioning into HANA fully. This could take a decade to happen. Remember, SAP HANA as of today is still a premium offering that costs a lot more than BW.

With DXC (HANA direct extractor connection) from HANA SPS4, you do not need a standalone BW to extract ECC data using BW extractors.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rama

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Raj:

To pull data from BW into HANA the below data integration (connectivity) can be used:

1 - Pulling data from BW query - use open hub and then configure BODS (aka data services) to pull data from BW using open hub and then load into HANA table schema (has to be manually created or can use data services to generate HANA table as well)

2 - Another way could be that we can use BW APD to dump the output of BEx query as flat file periodically and then use that flat file to load into HANA

Let me know if you have any other specific question.

Good luck on your inteview.

Regards,

Rama

rajarshi_muhuri
Active Participant
0 Kudos

just to add to rama shankars

finally you can use BODS to read directly ( preferably ABAP DATA flows ) to read from low level BW tables , and DSO's .. but using OPENHUB is the prefered and elegant way.