cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from 4.7 to ECC6.0 EP5

0 Kudos

Hi,

We are in the process of upgrading from Enterprise 4.7 to ECC6.0.  Got a couple of questions:

1.  In the previous upgrade (4.6 to 4.7), SAP has released PREPARE script to make sure the system meet requirements prior to the upgrade.  Does SAP still provide similar tool for 4.7 to 6.0 upgrade? 

2.  Is Solution Manager required for the upgrade? 

3.  My background is ABAP/BASIS.  SAP offers 100+ training classes for upgade.  Can someone share your training experience?  Which one(s) is worth to take?

Any input will be highly appreciated.

-Emily

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. The upgrade to ERP 6.0 EHP 5 is completed with 1 single complete step. There is no separate prepare and upgrade modes of SAPup. The phases of both prepare and upgrade has been clubbed . So once you start the upgrade , it will continue till the end.

2. Solution manager is required to generate the stack file for the upgrade using the maintenance optimizer as well as add the required software components for the upgrade into the download basket.

3. You can go for ADM326 training course from SAP.

Regards

Ratnajit

0 Kudos

Ratnaijit:

I have not taken any training for this upgrade yet due to the schedule conflict.  So I really appreciate you or anybody who shares the knowledge with me.    It sounds like we will have to install Solution Manager prior to upgrade project kick-off, right?  How about NetWeaver?  I have been researching about NetWeaver in SAP marketplace and am still not sure I'm clear with it.  Is NetWeaver a separate piece we have to install?

-Emily

former_member182307
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

SAP solution manager is now mandatory for install or upgrade.

You 'll have to install it and configure it the right way in order to perform your upgarde.

Your landscape will have to be defined in it in order, paticularly, to generate the mandatory xml file that will describe your target Support packages stacks and upgrade media.

About netweaver, here is a brief descritption of it :

"SAP NetWeaver is SAP's integrated technology computing platform and is the technical foundation for many SAP applications since the SAP Business Suite. SAP NetWeaver is marketed as a service-oriented application and integration platform. SAP NetWeaver provides the development and runtime environment for SAP applications and can be used for custom development and integration with other applications and systems. SAP NetWeaver is built using primarily the ABAP programming language, but also uses C (programming language), C++, and Java EE. It also employs open standards and industry de facto standards and can be extended with, and interoperate with, technologies such as Microsoft .NET, Java EE, and IBM WebSphere."

This is integrated to the application and not something to install.

That said, if this is your really first upgrade, you should hire an experimented consultant in order to help you with the technical part of the upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Steve.

0 Kudos

Thank you so much, Steve.  SAP is such a huge system.  It makes it so hard to find right documentation and get an overall picture without guidance or training.  I would like to take ADM326, but it's not scheduled until September.  Now I know where to start.  Thanks a lot!  -Emily