cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would be the process in SAP system if a country left the Euro?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have just be asked the question, and do a quick write up, but what would the SAP process be if a country left the euro? Other than absolute panic, and depending on how it happened and the legal changes, the points are

• Add the new currency to the system
  • Make sure it appears correctly on all printed doc.
  • Change the country to the new currency with the new exchange rate.
  • Update all sales order + purchase orders with the new currency. Not sure on this one, as they might want to still keep contracts / SO in euros.
  • Inform all customers and vendors of the change
  • Convert the FI accounts and G/L balances to the new currency.

In short, we would be using the same process as when a country moved to the euro.

Does anyone know the programs that was used for the currency conversions? 

Note : I rather keep this discussion on the technical side, rather than speculate of what or if it would happen or the legal side or the change.

Best Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. The current process that we did for EEK --> Euro was to run it as a dual currency with a fixed exchange rate. However in the case I described, the assumption it that there will not be any dual currency with an exchange fixed rate, but rather a floating one.

However, the points are valid,

- convert open documents,

- add new exchange rate, as the old currency still exist in the system and we want to make a  distinction between the old and new currency.

- convert all prices lists (maybe),

- review custom reports.

I think FI has a report somewhere that can convert all open documents, but I have to check..

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is more than just an SD discussion since it will have an effect on the whole chain from procurement/cost through sales to FI-CO. Maybe it would actually make sense to write tis up as a blog, so that experts from other areas could chime in.

As an ABAPer, I doubt there is some single magical program that will solve everything. There will be some period of "dual currency", as correctly noted, and the change will occur over time.

Also there actually already was kind of a precedent when Romania changed their currency abbreviation (ROL) and SAP handled that, so this is not as unusual/extreme as it might seem at first.

jignesh_mehta3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

If any Country walks out of Eoruzone, firstly it would run dual Currency before it moves back to its original Currency.

Thus in that period all the open Transactions would be closed.

Also I feel SAP will release a patch which will ensure the SAP Standard setting are maintained in the system.

As fas as currency is concerned the Country will move back to its own Currency, which is already existing in SAP.

From our side, will have to convert the Open Documents, Exchange Rates & Reports

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think that it ll depend on how the finance ministries will manage the inner process; for example I don't think that the existing debts or even confirmed sales order will be considered in the new local currency.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could be, and at the moment it is all speculations so I want to avoid a discussion with regards these issues.

However, there are a number of points that I think will be valid such as

SO and PO will have to be converted into the new currency, so means updating

- Price list

- Customer master

- Taxes, rounding,

Does you have another other things that needs to be changed? Foreign trade reporting maybe?

Regards