Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Allocation Group - 'Check Planning Area' option

former_member566355
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

In product allocation group configuration, in which cases should be the check box 'Check planning area'  ON ?

What is the general practice followed ?

Suppose if the key figure in planning area linked to 'product allocation quantity (KCQTY) ' is derived using macro's from some other key figure, which option is preferred ?

Regards,

RS

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

A check against product allocations is carried out in SAP APO for the sales document items.

If you plan the product allocation quantities in SAP R/3 you carry out planning in the info structure and transfer the product allocation quantities to SAP APO after planning is completed. If you change the planning of the product allocation quantities, you must transfer the data manually to the product allocation group. There is no automatic update.

For the process update:

Check the link below:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_em70/helpdata/en/69/5f3539280a2770e10000000a114084/content.htm

Hope the information is helpful

regards

former_member566355
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Swetha,

My query is specific to APO configuration. I am aware of the difference when you, check and uncheck the box  'check planning area'  .

Would like to get an elaboration as far as practical cases are concerned. Like, as explained in my origial query, if presense of macros influence the decsion to TICK it as .

Regards,

RS

Former Member
0 Kudos

RS,

Would like to get an elaboration as far as practical cases are concerned.

You use Planning area when you wish to minimize the maintenance effort of the Allocation Group.  There are two disadvantages.  First is that whenever a user is maintaining the Planning Book, Availability checking cannot be performed.  So, practically, you would select a certain time slot when ATP checking is at a minimum, and only use that time slot to update any Allocations.  This becomes difficult when your business is world-wide, but is definitely feasible when the business is regional.  The second disadvantage is during a system recovery.  Depending upon the nature and frequency of your LC backups, some of your allocation ATP data will be lost during an outage.  For ATP checks carried out against the Allocation Group, standard recovery procedures will bring back all of the data, since it is carried in a table.

if presence of macros influence the decision to TICK it as 

Probably not. It would depend upon what the Macros do.  ATP check by itself will not execute any Macro, it will merely update the KF in the Planning area.  Macros are either run interactively or by batch, outside of the ATP check.  If these Macros are also designed to update the Allocation relevant Key figures, you should know that they won't run during the ATP check.

Best Regards,

DB49

former_member566355
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi DB49,

thanks for the reply.

1.   Currently, we are working with direct check in planning area. Is it possible to switch to 2nd method while the production system is running ?

What are the steps/precautions to be taken care if it is do be done?

2. With the other method (check from PAG),  are there any disadvantages apart from data maintenance i.e. transfer of data from planning area to product allocation group whenever allocations are changed.

Even in this case ATP check should not happen during data transfer from planning book if I have understood it correctly.

Regards,

RS

Former Member
0 Kudos

RS,

Currently, we are working with direct check in planning area. Is it possible to switch to 2nd method while the production system is running ?

Sorry, I have never tried this.  However, you will surely find the answer out when you perform your integration testing. 

At a minimum, the precautions are the same you would take for any GATP transport or DP transport.

Even in this case ATP check should not happen during data transfer from planning book if I have understood it correctly.

Data transfer takes seconds.  I have never seen an instance where the timing of the data transfer has adversely affected an ongoing ATP.  That being said, allocation generally only is used for a small percentage of products on GATP, and allocation changes are normally booked only once per week or once per month. 

The least risk is if you wait until the system is relatively idle before updating the Allocation Group.  However, I myself have never bothered to wait.

Best Regards,

DB49