Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regd OS DB Migration & Enterprise Portal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

We are planning for an OS DB Migration from AIX to Linux System

In this my concern is our business is frontended by SAP Netweaver Portal. Currently the portal resides in AIX system

We boiled down our migration strategy to 2 options

Option A - Taking a downtime of existing portal, export and import it in the fresh installation

Option B - Build a parallel production portal in Linux and bring it to production on completion of OS DB Migration

Can someone offer ideas on risks involved and feasibility of the above options ?

Is online export and import technique possible in SAP Netweaver portal  ?

Regards

Anand Sekar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Option B:-

I can’t see any problem with option B, as we know EP / Java system doesn’t hold transactional data and chances of inconsistency is less as compared to any ABAP system.

Option B looks good only if there is less effort in building the system (i.e. less EP

Applications).

If this is the case then you can save good amount of downtime.

Option A:-

As we all know EP DB size is not much, if you can afford to get 8 hrs of downtime,

you should be good with standard option A.

In both the cases, if anything goes wrong you can always fall back to your

original system

Cheers,

Vishal

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much

Regards

Anand Sekar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

Thanks for your suggestions

As said by Vishal, our EP/Java System doesnot hold any transactional data.

And i need one more confirmation, is online export of portal database content possible? 

Because I see an option in SAPINST tool, Stop running system

Will things work well if I uncheck this ?

Regards

Anand Sekar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anand,

Although EP/ Java system does'nt hold transaction data, but it has it's own DB which is used by it's

different system coponents like content management, collabration, UME, applications deployed on

web as java, SDM, RDBMS instance and etc ...

if you dont shut down SAP instance, there is great chance that the target system will have inconsistent DB.

That is why SAP says it is a must to shut down DB, when you are going for final migration run.

Althouh if you are going for homogenious system copy of the system  involving java stack, I generally use  the option mentioned by you ( not to shut down SAP) just to archives the configuration and components in the file system which take care of file system data and DB restore for the database.

Hope this help you

Cheers,

Vishal

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Option A is the most reliable and standard method migrating NW JAVA based systems. You follow the standard JLoad procedure using SAPINST.Since portal systems do not have considerable database size, hence your downtime would not be very high , but yes please ensure you include the post migration work within the downtime . Also carry out atleast 2 mock migrations before you touch the production system.

Option B does not hold good for JAVA based systems. Incremental migrations as far I know only supports ABAP based systemsand only performed by SAP's consultants.

Regards

Ratnajit