Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Network Configuration file

former_member192421
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Guys,

I can find the oracle network configuration files(tnsnames.ora & sqlnet.ora) in two places.

1. /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/profile/oracle

&

2. /oracle/<SID>/102_64/network/admin/

From environmental variable I see, TNS_ADMIN is "/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/profile/oracle"

My question is

1. Among 1 & 2, which SAP uses for connecting database? (As per my knowledge is option 1)

2. Why there are two copies?

3. What are the other functions of each?

Thanks,

Rajkumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajkumar,

The env variable TNS_ADMIN by default points to the location  /oracle/<SID>/102_64/network/admin/ for ora<SID> user, who is also the owner of these *.ora files.

But generally TNS_ADMIN is set to the path /usr/sap/<SAPSID>/SYS/profile/oracle for <SID>adm user after a Database Upgrade. Please refer to note 830578 for more details.

-Renu

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP uses the ones in /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/profile/oracle for the SAP application which is basically defined in env TNS_ADMIN for user <sid>adm.

Since oracle home based client is not used by SAP since 10g (instead lite client) ,hence the database connection specific files are now better placed under /sapmnt/<SID>/profile/oracle .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per my understanding, the configuration files under /oracle/<SID>/102_64/network/admin/ are more from a database server perspective. Whereas ones existing in /sapmnt or /usr/sap/ are for the SAP which is considered as a client application. The configuration files existing here are treated as settings for the client application(SAP) to connect to the database server.

To make administration easier, the files under /usr/sap/ should be up-to-date and the ones under /oracle/<SID>/102_64/network/admin/ should be soft links to the config files in /usr/sap/. This would make sure the files are updated at properly and reflected across database server and client side within the same host.

Regards,

Srikishan