cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad connectivity issue with SAP BO 4.0 SP2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I am not able to connect my iPAD 2 to my organziations BI Platform . We have SAP BO Bi platfrom 4.0 SP2 installed. All the features and components of this platfrom are working fine . But when I try to connect my iPAD to it I get the error ' Connection to the server could not be established; try again or contact administrator ( MOB 06031)

I followed the following steps for installing the mobile server and connecting iPad to the BI platform

1. Stop Tomcat Web application server.

1. 2. Copy the file, MobileBIService.war from one of the following SAP BusinessObject Enterprise locations,

as appropriate, to [Tomcat home directory]\webapps.

For SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise 4.0 SP02: [Install directory]\Mobile 14\Client

For SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise 3.1 SP04: [Install directory]\BusinessObjects Enterprise

1. 12.0\java\applications

Note:

1. MobileBIService.war is supported only on Tomcat.
  2. 3. Start Tomcat.

After this I get MobileBIService  folder.

To configure the categories, perform the following steps:

1. 1. Locate and edit the file, [Tomcat_Home]\webapps\MobileBIService\WEB-INF\mobi.properties.
  2. 2. Add the required categories to the request sources (default or iPad) as shown below.
  3. default.personalCategory=Mobile

#ipad

1. ipad.corporateCategory=Mobile
  2. ipad.personalCategory=Mobile

#iphone

1. iphone.corporateCategory=Mobile
  2. iphone.personalCategory=Mobile

Now I go to my iPad and try to make a connection

I go to Settings-> connection on my Sap BI Mobile app on iPad

The connection details are as follows:

Name : I gave it any name.

Server URL : http://<servername>:8080/BOE/BI

CMS Name: <Server Name>:6400

Authentication: Enterprise

Username: My SAP BI 4.0  Username

Password:  My SAP BI 4.0 Password.

After this I get ‘ Connection to the server could not be established ; try again or contact your administrator ( MOB 06031)’

What has to be done more  to get my IPad connected to the organizations SAP BI Platform

Also I can see Mobile Server configuration wizard installed. Do  I need to use this too to connect my iPad.

Thanks,

Anshul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sumesh,

check if the MobileBIService.war file is deployed correctly. deploy it again.

check if any firewall is blockin 6400 request?

application server seems ok, as you are able to access the same.

Regards,

Atul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Atul,

MobileBIService.war file is deployed correctly. I checked by using the below link.

http://localhost:8080/MobileBIService/MessageHandlerServlet?message=GetVersion

I'm getting message as

<Result status="success">

<info>

<version productVersion="14.0.2.657" internalVersion="1.5"/>

<settings>

<setting key="savePassword" value="true"/>

<setting key="offlineStorage.ttl" value="0"/>

<setting key="offlineStorage" value="true"/>

<setting key="offlineStorage.appPwd" value="false"/>

</settings>

</info>

</Result>

Today I will check in Ipad using VPN connection. Will post if am able to connect through VPN.

Thanks and Regards,

M.Sumesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I'm able to connect to BI App as well as explorer App from ipad. PDF from the below link will give you a clear picture.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/a0ea75ea-2150-2f10-79af-a544c76d804f

Former Member
0 Kudos

good to know!!

cheers

Atul

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

It was a interested discussion, even I got the same error but rectified it by connecting it to the VPN.

Try using VPN =ON or from within SAP network.

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are using BO4 SP4 and configured the war files for Mobile access. I am able to access Explorer and able to see the Exploration Views.

But when i access the BI Mobile - I created the connection and then it is showing the Welcome page - Welcome Administrator and i am not able to view any reports/documents.

I tried with iPAD 2.

Please help me if someone know the Idea to resolve this issue.

Thanks & Regards

Satheesh.V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satheesh,

have you created categories inside CMC.

Create a category called Mobile inside CMC

put any webi report in the category

now try to access BO mobile using ipad and see if you are able to see the reports.

Also, would request you to take this to a new link, as different issues get mixed up

Regards,

Atul B

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anshul,

Have you configured your ipad to connect to your Business objects server.

If you are using ipad, the VAS and VMS servers in CCM wont come into picture.

Are you also trying to configure blackberry devices?

Regards,

Atul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Atul

Thanks a lot . What do you mean by ' configuring the iPad. I have done following steps :

1. Stop Tomcat Web application server. 

1. 2. Copy the file, MobileBIService.war from one of the following SAP BusinessObject Enterprise locations,

as appropriate, to [Tomcat home directory]\webapps. 

For SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise 4.0 SP02: [Install directory]\Mobile 14\Client

For SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise 3.1 SP04: [Install directory]\BusinessObjects Enterprise

1. 12.0\java\applications

Note:

1. MobileBIService.war is supported only on Tomcat.
  2. 3. Start Tomcat.

After this I get MobileBIService  folder. 

To configure the categories, perform the following steps:

1. 1. Locate and edit the file, [Tomcat_Home]\webapps\MobileBIService\WEB-INF\mobi.properties.
  2. 2. Add the required categories to the request sources (default or iPad) as shown below.
  3. default.personalCategory=Mobile

#ipad 

1. ipad.corporateCategory=Mobile
  2. ipad.personalCategory=Mobile

#iphone 

1. iphone.corporateCategory=Mobile
  2. iphone.personalCategory=Mobile

Also, VAS VMS has nothing to do with iPad ,iPhone Connectivity. What if I want to connect Android Tablets, Android phones, Symbian Phones , Blackberry devices?

As of now, I need to test only on the iOS devices but in future I may connect other mobile devices to SAP BO 4.0 Platform.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anshul,

for ipad everythings seems to be done.

Now you just need to download the BI app from the istore and connect to the BO server.

For connecting android, you will have to wait for sometime, as this app is currently under development, might be released later this year.

for blackberry and windows mobile, there is a whole set of configuration for VAS and VMS servers, available at help.sap.com for mobile installation guides.

Blackberry device needs a BES (Black berry enterprise) server.

Regards,

Atul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Atul

I would like to thank you as you have answered few questions of mine on Bobj Mobility. Your inputs are really helpful.

Actually I am new to this Bobj Mobility world and my first implementation is about to start.

I would like to have a small conversation with you via phone, gtalk etc . This would really clear few of my implementation doubts . My gmail ID is [removed by moderator] . You can add me here or send me your email ID on contact on this email ID .

Let me know if I can call you over the weekend .

Appreciate all your help.

Regards,

Anshul Wankhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anshul,

I work in IST timings hence might not be able to call ya .

however, you can post any queries you have here Will try to answer them

Regards,

Atul B

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Atul

Could you share your non-company email ID or Linked profile . Mine is [removed by moderator] .

Linkedin Profile [removed by moderator]

Feel free to add me . I will send my list of queries in a day . Thanks for all your help

Former Member
0 Kudos

sure

[removed by moderator]

Although i will prefer you share them here, as they will help others as well.

do not start a different query in the same thread, it adds to confusion for solution finders!!

Regards,

Atul B

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Atul

My questions are as follows:

1. 1. What could be the licensing cost and issues if we want to make a workforce of 100-150 people be able to use SAP Mobile BI and SAP Explorer on their iOS and Android devices. As iOS and Android versions are different , do we need separate licensing for these. I know that we can download this app for free from playstore or appstore but for a bulk of users do we need licensing of any type?
  2. 2. The Bobj 4.0 or 3.1 server is protected by the firewall. How to access these servers from a mobile app? What could be the possible solution here ? Do we need to get VPN on the mobile and then try connecting it to the Bobj Server or any other method is possible.
  3. 3. What could be the security perspective of mobile apps considering data is highly sensitive.
  4. 4. In any of your deployments , have you used any mobile device management tools such as Afaria or SUP. If yes, then does that meet the security requirement?

Atul, I believe these are some tricky questions and I would like to have a telephonic conversation with you or a chat session. I can be available at any time considering you work as per IST timings. Let me know if this is possible. You can send me your phone number on my gmail ID [removed by moderator]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anshul,

No licenses are required for any number of users. All licenses are based on the Business objects server licenses that you have.

No seperate user licenses are required for any mobile devices.

To access the BI server over the firewall or external network, you need to get in touch with your network administrator. As a proxy server might be used ( when connection is done from the internet ). the proxy server URL will be redirected internally to the BI server, which will process the request. The application server ( Tomcat ) should not be in the DMZ.

To know more, go through the security guides available for download at help.sap.com

Go through security guide for user data privacy.

I have not yet used Afaria or SUP

Regards,

Atul B

for any further queries please start a new chain..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I was trying to configure mobile servers using mobile server configuration wizards and I am getting an error ' Error occurred while updating the configuration file ( Mob 20003)'.

What can be done here?

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you open safari on your ipad and navigate to http://<servername>:8080 ?

What version of iPad app do you have?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis

No I cannot. I am using the guest network for iPad and I beleive the organization's BO Server is not public.

Do I need to connect my iPad using VPN ?

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, you need to resolve network access issues first.

Once you're able to get to simple Tomcat URL from ipad - you should be able to connect to BO

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Dennis

So firstslt I need to  coonect my IPad to Organization's network. Then I need to test whether I am able to log in Bi Launchpad from my Safari browser and then I should try connecting my SAP Business Objects Mobile app to the BO Server.

Correct me if I am wrong.

One quick question:

When I go to connections on my SAP BO app, its asks for name . What would this name be ? Any name which we want to give or something specific based on our URL or ports?

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you are correct.

The name is so you can identify this connection from others (most customers have more than one BOE deployment).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

I'm able to open the http://<servername>:8080 from safari browser. But when I click on SAP BI App and in connection I have entered the following details:

Server URL : http://<servername>:8080

CMS Name: <Server Name>:6400

Authentication: Enterprise

Username: My SAP BI 4.0  Username

Password:  My SAP BI 4.0 Password.

I'm getting the below mentioned error:

Connection to the server could not be established; try again or contact your administrator (MOB 06031)