cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using old saplogon.ini file for new install of SAPGui

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all -

For months, we have been testing our installation server for a company-wide rollout of SAPGui 7.20 and it has been going well at two of our beta-test

sites in the field.  We are upgrading from SAPGui 7.10 and are still using Windows XP, SP3.

We are now going to test the rollout (we are deploying the "package" through BigFix to each individual PC) at our Headquarters.  The big difference

between the field sites and our HQ is that many people here at HQ have multiple system logons.  In other words, they have logons for PRD, QAS, DEV,

BOP, BIP, etc.  Since 99% of field users use only PRD (Oil), our testing so far in the field has gone flawless, with no modifcations to be made after the install is

complete.

However, as you all know, SAPGui 7.10 places the saplogon.ini file in the C:\Windows directory while the 720 package places the "new" ini file

in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SAP\Common folder. 

We are pretty sure BigFix can be configured to copy the old .ini file over the new .ini file, but, short of that, is there ANY OTHER WAY this can be

done without creating a whole new package?  A registry entry perhaps?

Thank you in advance.

Chris

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

if your customers start the new SAP GUI 7.20 for the first time, the GUI will look into C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SAP\Common for a saplogon.ini file.Of course the file is not there, and that's why the GUI will check C:\Windows for the ini file. If there is one, it will copy the file to the new location and you should be fine.

Furthermore, with SAP GUI 7.20 there is the possibility to use a (or more) server-based saplogon.ini file. This is imho the best solution. Please see note 1426178 for further information. You could create several saplogon.ini files and set the via registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAP\SAPLogon\Options\ConfigFileOnServer

Kind regards,

Jann

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Jann.  Everything I always read told me that the file was copied over during the new install, but for some reason, it wasn't doing that on our test box.  Finally, I tried it again after cleaning up the test PC a bit and it worked just fine.  I also installed 7.20 on a Windows 7 machine that had SAPGui 7.10 and it correctly copied over the old ini file to the "new" directory.  I think I just panicked!  Thanks again.