cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BW performance

0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a problem with the perfomance of BW. Every day in the morning, the BW it's very slow, probably because many users are consuming the Sales Infocube when they generate reports in Sap BEX, but there are a BO user that consume resources  of this infocube too. Everyday this user is scheduled to extract data from BW to BO starting at 3:00 AM and in transaction st22 always have dumps for this user. This dumps generally are Time Out or not enough space in memory to complete the task.

The BW Server has 16GB RAM.

Could you give me ideas to solve this problem?

Regards,

Hans Ortiz

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is my blog article on fixing Memory issues with short dumps if that is what your symptoms are:

http://scn.sap.com/blogs/tyronemapp/2012/05/11/how-to-fix-pxanosharedmemory-short-dump-error-in-sap-...

0 Kudos

Hi Mapp,

Sorry for answer you late

Thanks for your blog, I will send the link to the basis to read it.

cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

no worries, mate. Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hans

For BW 16GB does not seem like much memory. We run 3 physical servers with instances of BW on them (And other system instances such as ECP) run on 64GB Memory and 16 CPU Cores. So BW basically has free run with 192GB of Memory and 48CPU's for overnight processing. + a basically dedicated DB server with 128GB of meory (By dedicated I mean cluster node 2 but cluster node 2 only runs BI and SolMan).

Our future virtualization project plans have 4 BI Servers initially (2 Java, 2 ABAP) each with 32GB of memory.

What exactly does the short dump say? If it is PXA_NO_SHARED_MEMORY then you probably need to increase your ABAP Buffer Size - I am not far from posting a blog on how to do this.

I'm also making the assumption here that your Network connectivity between BO and BW servers are Gigabit straight through Core switching so there are no latency issues to deal with.

0 Kudos

Hi Mapp,

Thanks for answer.....woooowww!!! so our server is just a toy for BW?.

Ok seems like you have a big data warehouse, in our case what do you think must be the minimal requeriments to have a stable BW server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hans

lol, either that or ours is way over specced . We currently hold about 400GB of data in BW for processing. I don't know how that stacks up against your guys data loads.

I've always said if you run into performance issues throw more memory at it (Thats my infrastructure background talking anyway)

Cheers