cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Virtual Machine Doesn't Utilize All the Physical Memory

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi! I have deployed SAP IDES ECC 6.0 for Oracle on VMWare Workstation with Windows 2003.
There are 16 GB of RAM in the host. Out of them I assign 14 Gb for the virtual machine .

http://www.imageup.ru/img217/942061/1.jpg

The system is working, but response time is not satisfactory.

Task Manager shows the virtual machine uses only 14679260-12535540 = 2143720 byte of physical memory and the rest 12 GB remain Available.
Meanwhile 18 Gb is committed. Performance counters display high load of disk system.

How can I make SAP+Oracle utilize physical memory to the maximum?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you post your memory allocation parameters?

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please, see the attachment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrey,

This being Windows the only thing I would be initially interested in is PHYS_MEMSIZE. Can't see it in doc you have attached. Please let us know its value from RZ11.

Regards.

Ruchit

Former Member
0 Kudos

It seems I don't have PHYS_MEMSIZE parameter in RZ11

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrey,

If SAP is running on Windows it has to have PHYS_MEMSIZE. Please check RSPARAM report also.

Regards.

Ruchit.

ImtiazKaredia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Run the program RSPFPAR from SE38 and check the value of PHYS_MEMSIZE parameter

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found that PHYS_MEMSIZE was 512 MB in Instance Profile. I changed it to 14335 and restarted Application Server. However nothing changed. Still the virtual machine utilizes only 2GB of physical memory out of 14GB. Moreover I have another virtual machine with Windows 2003 x64 where SAP IDES ECC6 + Oracle are also deployed. The situation is similar there.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andres,

First of all PHYS_MEMSIZE should be memory to be used by SAP instance only and not SAP+Oracle. You need to split it between SAP  and Oracle in may be 50:50 or 60:40 ratio.

. Next there would be operations that would be disk intensive because of which Disk I/O is huge and then there would be CPU intensive processes. No matter what memory CPU intensive operations will keep on hammering CPU.

Also response time is not just memory dependent. Very wrong idea. Check if your buffers are big enough also.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I certainly understand that PHYS_MEMSIZE defines memory to be used by SAP instance only and not SAP+Oracle.

My question is following. Is it normal that SAP instance uses only 2GB of physical memory when 14GB is assigned to it?