cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

saposcol issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

We are on Netweaver 7.01 version and SAPHOSTAGENT is installed on our systems seperately later as it is not part Netweaver 7.01 kernel.

So now actually we have two saposcol executables - One under SAPHOSTAGENT and another under kernel files.

Can you please tell me would there be any issue if we have two saposcol executables, one under kernel and another under saphostagent.

If we have two saposcol executables, which one would take priority when SAP system is started up?

Can we remove the sapsocol which is in kernel files, or is there any SAP note or document explaining this situation?

Awaiting your inputs on this.

Regards,

Ram

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

saposcol binary under SAPHOSTAGENT is the one being used for your version and future version of NetWeaver (e.g. 7.20 or higher)

Although your current version contain saposcol as part of the kernel, the executable under SAPHOSTAGENT should be the one being executed and interact with NetWeaver (double check or post sapinit file to confirm).

It is fine to contain multiple saposcol binary executable in one OS (virtual, LPAR, or physical), as long as only one of them is executing at one time.

The main reason do not delete saposcol under SAP's kernel directory is that it is bundled together with 7.01 as standard installation. When you patch or upgrade (not delete-install) this SAP instance, it may fail if it can't find this file which is expect to exist. So don't simply delete any executable files under kernel directory for this reason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

According to the documentation Downloading and Installing Package SAPHOSTAGENT:

"The installed programs are automatically started when the host is booted. On

Microsoft Windows hosts, this is done by the services SAPHostControl and

SAPHostExec. On UNIX hosts the automatic start is ensured by the startup script

sapinit, which starts the required executables."

According to that, the saposcol executables under SAPHOSTAGENT has a priority.

Laszlo

PS: According to  Note 1629598 - SAP Kernel 720 will replace older kernel versions, you should upgrade your kernel to 7.20 anyway. And kernel 7.20 no longer contain saposcol.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Laszlo,

Thanks for the reply.

So saposcol under SAPHOSTAGENT has a priority over saposcol under kernel files.

Then what is the need of saposcol executable under kernel directory. Can we remove it?

Is there any SAP document suggesting this?

Awaitinf your inputs.

Regards,

Ram.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

saposcol under SAPHOSTAGENT starts automaticaly by the script sapinit.

Then saposcol under the kernel directory not necessary, but I recommend you to not delete it.

If you check your startsap script, you can find a function "start_saposcol" which points to the kernel directory.

Laszlo

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Both SAPOSCOL will be for different system only. One if for SAP system and other is for SAPHOSTAGENT. I don't see any problem here.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

Thanks for the reply...

I didn't get you when u said "One is for SAP system and other is for SAPHOSTAGENT". The saposcol in SAPHOSTAGENT will be used for the SAP system rght?

We are on OS IBM i OS/400 6.1. We will have only one saposcol in one LPAR where more than one SAP system is installed.

Regards,

Ram.