cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC Server program can't communicate when "Start on Front-End"

former_member197445
Contributor
0 Kudos

I've seen this question multiple times but there never seems to be an answer other than "Don't use the 'Start on Front-End Work Station' option, use the 'Registered Program' option."

Does anyone know why a .NET Connector application cannot be set up to execute and handle functions through an RFC Connection configured as "Start on Front-End Work Station?"  It works fine as a registered program, but this won't work, since if multiple users are running the program from their local machine all with the same ProgramID, the RFC connections will get confused -- am I right?

What I want to do is:

• Execute a function module at a particular RFC destination
  • Launch the .NET program installed on the local machine for multiple users.
  • Do some stuff
  • Return back a value to the original function module.

Like I said, this scenario works fine as a registered program, but that's not entirely feasible.  Can anyone let me know if I should check something else to allow the program to launch on-demand, similar to SAPFTP or R3_WINDOWS_SERVER?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Case,

I think, I got the solution.

In your .NET application you have to pass the start arguments of the exe over to your RFCservre component.

Like this (C# code):

static void Main (string [] args)
{
   RFCServer.Start (args);
}

Then the connection test works well in the SM59 and the RFCServer is accessible from SAP!

Best regards
Veit Gaudich

former_member197445
Contributor
0 Kudos

You're right!  Thanks SO much, Veit!  I'm so glad to know this can work.

former_member524106
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Case,

Now we get the same issue,

RFC Server program can't communicate when "Start on Front-End"

and in SCN, we found that you have get the soultion, could you kindly give us more informations?

Thanks!

Jack

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Case,

did you get on with your problem?

I want to do the same. Start a NCo 3.0 program on my machine and get a value from it.

Whe I do a connection test, my program starts, but the connection test failed with a timeout.

Any tips for me?

With thanks,

Veit

former_member197445
Contributor
0 Kudos

I went a different route, but it works pretty well.  I made a .NET library (DLL) that contains a Form within it.  registered everything safe for COM interop and called it using OLE functionality.  (registered the program in t-code SOLE).  This ABAP launches the form and returns the user input.  SCN won't allow me to attach the .NET source code, but feel free to email me if you'd like to see it.

TYPE-POOLS  ole2.

DATA: mydll type ole2_object,
      str   type string VALUE 'Empty'.

CREATE OBJECT mydll 'MYAPP.LAUNCH'.

IF mydll-handle > 0.

CALL METHOD OF mydll 'GetText' = str.

ENDIF.

WRITE str.