cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What runtime install is needed?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I am having a hard time determining what Crystal Reports Runtime needs to be installed on the client machine now that I have migrated my VB.NET Windows Forms application to Visual Studio 2010.

On this page there are several choices:

http://www.businessobjects.com/jump/xi/crvs2010/us2_default.asp

5 choices for "SAP Crystal Reports, version for Visual Studio 2010", and 2 choices for "SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine for .NET Framework 4".

I understand that I need to install the "SAP Crystal Reports, version for Visual Studio 2010" on my development machine, but what do I need to have the clients install on their workstations?

Client workstations are Win XP SP3, and some people access it from Citrix MyDesk which is Windows Server 2003 SP2.  Both environments have .NET Framework 3.5 as the highest version.

On the page link I pasted above, there is "SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine for .NET Framework 4 (32-bit)".

This is a 69MB ZIP file that contains a 75MB MSI. 

- Will my clients need to have Admin rights to install this?  They currently do not have this, and I have about 200 clients. 

- Is there a ClickOnce install for the Runtime files (that does not require Admin rights)?

- Will the install complain if .NET Framework 4 does not exist?

- Can an older CR Runtime version (e.g. version 10) co-exist with this newer one (version 13)?

- Do I absolutely need the newer Version 13 now that I have migrated to Visual Studio 2010?

Thank you,

Dave

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello David

I wish those links were never put up there. See the document Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 Reference for a slightly better organization.

ClickOnce is at the following link:

http://downloads.businessobjects.com/akdlm/cr4vs2010/CRforVS_clickonce_13_0_3.zip

As the app is 32 bit, you will need to install the 32 bit runtime. In addition to clickonce, you have two additional choices; 32 bit msm and 32 bit msi. MSI is a simple click of a mouse button to install the runtime. With the msm, you'll need to create a deployment project in .NET, InstallShield, Wise, etc. When creating a deployment project using the CR msm files, you will also have to ensure that the VC++ dependencies are installed before the CR runtime. No such concern with the msi as the dependencies are included.

Your clients will have to have local admin rights. There may be a way around this requirement, but that is beyond the scope of CR. Contact / search Microsoft for possible answers.

If you compiled for framework 3.5, you do not need framework 4.

All versions of Crystal Reports (from CR 9 onwards) are side by side compatible on runtime computers.

Only version 13 of CR is supported with BS2010.

- Ludek

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Ludek,

I am still a little confused by all of the install choices, so if you don't mind I have a few clarifications to ask:

• The first link you provided (Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 Reference) has MSI, MSM and ClickOnce install choices for the RTM and each of the Services packs 1, 2, 3.
    • Do these installs contain just the Runtime components that client workstations need, or are they intended for developer workstations where Visual Studio 2010 is also installed?
    • Is the same install used for both the developer workstation and clients?
  • The second link you provided (CRforVS_clickonce_13_0_3.zip) is 144MB.
    • Is this just the Runtime that a client workstation requires?  It seems huge.
  • You mention VC++ dependencies for the MSM (i.e. merge modules) choice.
    • Do I need to be concerned with this when my app is a VB.NET Windows Forms app that has been migrated to Visual Studio 2010?
    • When I read SAP Note 1544708, it says:
      • The Crystal Reports MSM file for CRVS2010 is 32 bit only and due to licensing limitations does not include the following MS dependencies:
        • Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
        • Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package

Dave

saurabh_pathak
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, I have read the blog, however the second link you provided is for 64-bit deployments and mine is 32-bit.

In your blog, you have a link for the runtimes.  This just brings me to a search page, where I get a list of the following download options:

• Crystal Reports for VS 2010 - Redistributable File - 32bit
      • This is a Zip file that contains an MSI
    • Crystal Reports for VS 2010 - Redistributable File - 64bit
    • Crystal Reports for VS 2010 - ClickOnce
    • Crystal Reports for VS 2010 - Merge Modules
    • Crystal Reports for VS 2010 - Support Pack 1

I still am left with these questions:

• Are these installs for the development machine, or the client workstation?
  • If only the first two (Redistributable File) downloads are intended for client machines, is the 32-bit one available as a ClickOnce install?

Dave

saurabh_pathak
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
  1. These are to be installed on client workstations.
  2. ClickOnce you see is 32 bit install.

As far as development machine is concerned you have to install - 'INSTALL EXECUTABLE' from http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7824

Hope this helps

- Saurabh

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In the doc I referenced, the 1st column is "Install executable". You need to run this exe on the development computer. No need to run the runtime msm or msi on development.

ClickOnce, msm, msi. Those are your three options for deploying the crvs2010 runtime.

re. VC++ dependencies. Yes, you need to be concerned - if you are using the msm files to deploy the runtime. The MSI and ClickOnce include the VC++ dependencies. See KB 1544708 for more details.

-Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

My report is in a Web Application that I want to deploy on the server and have the users access it there instead of installing it on the users' computers.

If I install the msi on the server and not on the users' computers, will that work.

Thank you.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes it will.

If you have more questions, please create a new thread.

- Ludek

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help!

Answers (0)