cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCM7.0 Multiple Clients!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear APO Experts,

I have read several posts and notes on this topic.

I will ask the same questions, albeit differently as I have already discovered the 'facts' first hand on the system too.  viz. APO is generally multiclient compliant except for BW and the applications that use BW objects e.g. interactive planning books in DP and SNP, ATP allocation check etc.

Now the questions.

1) If I decide to create one client in APO purely for configuration and another client as my RFC destination for CIF (that will also be the target for the transports created in the former client), how can I do basic unit tests in the latter client when I cant even open an interactive demand and supply planning book ?. I am talking of latest SCM version where same restrictions of mutli-clients apply as in the past (5.0 and before) when others have talked on this topic with answers reproduced from more or less same SAP links and notes

PS: I have no other 'business' reasons for creating multiple clients other than the idea of a clean config client.

2) Why would SAP design such a strict logic around multiclient compliance unlike in ECC ? My argument is even if BW objects are client-independent for historical reasons, I should be allowed to open interactive planning books in all clients precisely because BW objects are client -independent. I have made note of the distinction between 'BW client' (set default first time or otherwise in RSADMINA table) and the client independence of BW objects.

Restating: The fact that the "default" BW client only will allow administration functions (RSA1, MSDP_ADMIN) should not prevent using interactive planning books in all clients.

I am neither a BASIS expert nor an APO veteran so I might not be fully aware of negative consequences of my wishes above. Nevertheless appreciate quick answers while we build our landscape esp. from a future-proofing point of view

Thanks

Guru

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any more views ?

Abridged question.

I am not able to open interactive DP and SNP books in non-BW clients in SCM7.0.  A BW client is the one that is set by default = client in which RSA1 is first opened. 

Is this the way it is intended ?

Is this normal ?

I havent paid attention to this earlier, though I am aware of APO systems with 2 clients.

Thanks

Guru.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Borat,

I am facing the same issue in our test system: we wanted a golden client and two extra ones, but only the golden client is working, the others complaining about BW being only in the golden client.

Did you check the notes and solve the problem / gained key insight on how this works in 7.0?

best regards,

J.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

I813660
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

When opening the interactive planning, the system will automatically look for the BW information in order to read the characteristic data.

I don't know how the system allowed to create the Planning object structure in this case, since the POS is directly connected to BW.

But I honestly never since a setup as the one you are looking for.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guru

The way ECC implements a multi-client architecture is basically using the client value as part of the primary key of all client dependent tables (MANDT field). BW stores data differently, in Infocubes, and they dont have this key.

So from a APO perspective, anything that's BW based cannot be multi-client. I've not personally seen or heard of any multi-client APO instances. That of course doesn't mean they don't exist. But from a 'future proofing' perspective, I would doubt something if its not commonly done especially something as fundamental as this.

Also, the need for a 'clean' config client is probably less in APO than in ECC. Unless you have a really huge APO implementation, there will probably be not more than 4-8 configurators in the system, unlike ECC where there might be 30-40 configurators.

Rishi Menon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rishi,

This is what went on in my mind too.

But from a 'future proofing' perspective, I would doubt something if its not commonly done especially something as fundamental as this.

Not a really huge implementation, nevertheless a full blown one.

Thanks

Guru

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guru,

You should be able to open an interactive planning book irrespective of client.  Please check your autorizations. 

Best regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mclean,

There is no authorization issue. I have SAP_ALL.

I get this message. in the non-BW client

You can only work in client xxx.

Do you think there are other settings responsible for this

Guru

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guru,

Please check the following SAP Notes for information:

Best regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos