cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Points not getting calculated correctly

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

i  scored 1,397 points yesterday before answering a question.

After giving correct answer,the user rewarded me 10 points which increased my points to 1,407.

But after few mins,the points has come down to 1,399 but the total life time points remain unchanged.

Are the points for 12 months is getting refreshed every 5 mins which results in change?

Please clarify

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Leon

No,its not getting reduced.

I have a doubt on contribution level.

In old SDN,the contribution like silver,gold is calculated on lifetime points.

What about in new SCN?

is the contribution is calculated on points in twelve month?

0 Kudos

Hi Kamba,

There is no change in the Active status calculation from old SDN to new SCN.

It was not calculated on the lifetime points in old SDN. It is calculated on the points that you earn in the last 12 months. The same applies to new SCN as well.

When it says 12 month, it is not defined like the year 2011 or 2012. But it is the last 12 months from that day. eg. as of today, the points that will be considered for active status is from 10-May-2011 to 9-May-2012.

You may also read:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-18427

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-18475

Thanks for your understanding,

Best Regards,

Leon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Leon for your helpful information

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is there a way to view the point information as on the old site? In the profile I can now see only the very recent activity. I couldn't find a way to view for specific time frame and in a convenient format, like on the old site...

Former Member
0 Kudos

under "Reputation" you have "lifetime points"... that's how many you actually have regardless of the timeframe in which you were awarded those points

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It seems some problem with Points calculation, Started contributing from last month actively.

Points yesterday were 43 now it shows 38.

Admin, please help me.

Regards
Sachin

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The points might be taken away, I believe, if they were awarded in a thread that was later moderated and locked / moved to no-points forum. Although my digits also keep dropping steadily, so maybe there is more to it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jelena,

Thanks for quickest reply. I was not aware of such thing. Can we trace such threads. Nothing crazy @ points but aim to learn and understand how SDN works, may be I will be able to help somebody in future.

My Regards

Sachin

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I had the same confusion - just a month ago I started with 700+ points but now I'm seeing 600+ (I'm referring to the points shown at the very top, next to 'Welcome'). I was pretty sure it's a conspiracy due to my open expression of disapproval of new SCN, but then I found this thread. (Still not ruling out conspiracy theory though.)

Why exactly do we need to maintain 'lifetime' and 'past 12 months' points separately? This just seem to add to confusion. Is there a specific benefit?

Even in forums if someone had large number of points but then was not able to contribute most recently (e.g. like when I was on a materinty leave), what does it change in his/her credibility?

0 Kudos

Hi Jelena,

It is no conspiracy against you.

There is a reason to show lifetime and past 12 months points separately. Lifetime points are the total points that the user has earned throughout in SCN from the time he started using it. Past 12 months points are used to calculate the Active Contribution of the user. This will be used to provide badges like bronze, silver, gold and platinum. The benefit is it will help to identify the active contributors and also encourage them to keep contributing in SCN. One has to be active in SCN to keep their Badges intact. If one stops contributing, the points for active contribution starts diminishing after a span of 1 year.

Yours is a genuine case where you were on your maternity leave. I would request you to not take the points so seriously because you couldn't contribute very recently due to maternity leave. It is not about the credibility, but it is just a parameter( Past 12 months) set in SCN to calculate the active contribution status of a user in the community. You can start earning points and acquire the active status anytime. This applies to everyone in SCN.

Best Regards,

Leon

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Eventually and inevitably, valuable contributors - like yourself - will be recognized by their names, not by their points or badges.

Thomas

P.S. prerequisite is a distinctive, if possible real display name, and maybe avatar, these days...

Former Member
0 Kudos

today I started at 122 points (active) and after receiving another 5 points, my total dropped to 99 ?!

not that I care that much for these points, but I find it a bit "weird"...

0 Kudos

Hi R B,

That would be because the points (122-99 = 23) were earned on May 9,2011. Since the active status is calculated based on the total no. of points you have earned in the last 12 months.

So on May 8,2012, you saw 122 points (Period: May 9,2011 to May 8,2012)

On  May 9,2012, you see 99 points  (Period: May 10,2011 to May 9,2012)

Best Regards,

Leon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Leon,

fair enough explanation, however I saw 122 points on May 9th 2012 and right after getting 5 extra points my total changed to 99 points (on the same day just a few minutes later). I assume that's due a coincidental time change in some timezone around the exact same time I got the 5 points?

Cheers,

RB

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Coincidental is the correct word. As per my observation, the deduction of the old points from the rolling total happens several times a day (but not every 5 minutes).

Last week I lost 40 in an instant, I'm still recovering from that blow.

Thomas

0 Kudos

Hi Kamba,

It could be that the refresh to calculate the points in the last 12 months would have been scheduled at that point of time. Since the total life time points did not change, I suppose there is no issue with the points you have earned. Did you observe the refresh any other time since you have mentioned 5 minutes interval? Did it get reduced at each 5 mins?

Best Regards,

Leon