cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to protect blank field go to MDM repository

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi every one,

I am new in MDM, I have a doubt to protect blank field to go to MDM repository.

What I have done is "Set Required field to be Yes in the Console and add the function REQUIRED_FIELDS to a validation expression in the Data Manager".

It works, but when I use the Import Managet to import blank field. The record still be imported successfully with checked-out option.

If I want the blank field record stop before it can be accessed to MDM repository. What should I do?

Thank you in advance for your time and kindly support.

Best Regards,

Natthapong

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

whole field is empty?? or some fields of some recrods are empty which you do not want to import????

if field is empty, then you leave that field unmap....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitish,

Thanks for your promt action.

Sorry, I gave the unclear information.

Actually, there is only one field that I want to filter. It is Item code.

Now blank (null) item code is possible to be imported to MDM repository.

But what I want is only non-null item code to be stored in MDM.

Could you please share me the solution?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Natthapong

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

One of the major drawbacks of Import Manager is that when the data is imported it doesnot validate the data , It just takes a dump of the data and pushes it in the Data base .

We need to Manually validate the data in Excel sheet , else push the data in then clense the data by running the validation again and removing unwanted records .

Regards,

Vag Vignesh Shenoy

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is filter criteria in import manager, but it dont work for blank values, and there is no separate conditions in import manager to do that, so either you have to deal with null values before importing or after importing that is in data manger....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Firstly, validations are performed after Import and NOT during Import, So when you are loading a file through Import Manager, all the records will get imported into the MDM Data Manager.

Now if you want the data manager to store only the Records for which the Item Code is NOT NULL, then you can achieve this by following the below steps.

1. Login to data manager.
  2. Select the validations tab as the active tab and create a validation expression as below
  3. IF(IS NULL(Item code), TRUE, FALSE)
  4. Select the workflow table as the current table and create a Workflow as below.
  5. In the branch step, select the validation you have created.
  6. Connect the validation to the Stop step (Note: Stop step's record checkout property is set to Roll Back, which means the record will not be created if its Item code field is NULL)
  7. Select the Trigger action as Record Import.
  8. Login to the Import Manager and select the created workflow from the Configuration option.
  9. Perform the Import.

As soon as you perform an Import, all the records from the source file will be uploaded into the MDM Datamanager, and since you have selected the workflow to be triggered on Record Import, the imported records will be put through Workflow. and the records for which the item code is Null will be "Roll back" i.e., they will be un-created

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Nitish, I got the useful idea.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vag Vignesh Shenoy,

Thanks for your useful comments.

Regards,

Natthapong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

Thank you so much. This is one of great solutions for my problem.

Unfortunately, We do not use MDM workflow. We use BPM workflow instead.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Natthapong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can use mdm validations via bpm, look at the following links, the validation written by prasad can be run through bpm,

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/c0b83e3a-d4f1-2e10-c2ba-c5291ea07...

page 22

and

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-16298

Regards

Nitish Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitish,

Thanks for your helpful information.

Anyway, If I want to reject the blank item code that interfaces from the other system to MDM

From my understanding, any of workflow can reject the blank item code that interfaces directly from other system.

Can I reject the blank item code in interface from other systems?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Natthapong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please can tell me in details, which other system you talking about, i am not getting exactly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

if you are asking that from bpm  you can can access mdm data and apply validation, than its possible ....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitish,

There is an individual in-house developed system that send the data from the system to MDM by interfacing the data directly.

So I have no idea how i can reject the data that interface directly from another system.

Best Regards,

Natthapong

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok, let me tell you my understanding, suppose data is coming from your system(suppose ecc here), now you are transferring the data to mdm, via import manager.......ok....

if this is the same case for you, you can use bpm here, but you have to develop code here to perform this functionality, i cant help you in coding part, but you can develop code which would call validation mentioned in mdm (as prasad said earlier) at the time of importing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitish,

Thanks a lot. I think I get the idea.

But it's a bit sorry that my project use only standard function.

So I think I can reject the blank field by using only standard function.

Anyway, I really appreciate with all experts here. I have got lots of useful knowledge.

Thanks once again

Regards,

Natthapong

Former Member
0 Kudos

ur welcum.....

if you got any solution, please share with us.....

Regards

Nitish Sharma

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Natthapong,

There can be various approaches to tackle this,I can also suggest few.You can use the approach which best serves your purpose.

Please let me know the interface which provider the data to MDM and the matching field used in the import.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for your kind support.

I would like to provide you the information as follows;

1. Provider interface is PLM system ( in-house developed system).

2. Matching field is Item code (which I want to get rid of the blank).

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Natthapong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Natthapong,

Thanks for your patience.

Under the circumstances as mentioned,such control can either be at source level,interface level or target system level.Best is to control at source level.

Since you are sending the data from PLM system to MDM that means creation of Item is happening in the other system and MDM is storing that data.

Now my question to you would be;

1.How is NULL value coming in if data creation is happening in PLM or has already happened in MDM?

2.Are you maintaining Remote Keys for this?What is the value of remote key?

3.What are your display fields?

These are important to be understood to device a fix for such a issue.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Natthapong,

What I have done is "Set Required field to be Yes in the Console and add the function REQUIRED_FIELDS to a validation expression in the Data Manager".

It works, but when I use the Import Managet to import blank field. The record still be imported successfully with checked-out option.

If I want the blank field record stop before it can be accessed to MDM repository. What should I do?

1stly you have to make sure that validation you created is working fine for checking Blank Fields

then please also set the validation property in Data Manager to Automatic Execution = Error.

Afterwards try to add this record through Data Manager or Import Manager for blank fields, it should throw you error and records should be failed that is should not be created.

Regards,

Mandeep Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep Singh,

Afterwards try to add this record through Data Manager or Import Manager for blank fields,

==> I think when we use Import Manager to add the blank item field with the setting, Import Manager is that when the data is imported it doesnot validate the data , It just takes a dump of the data and pushes it in the Data base . Same idea as Vag Vignesh Shenoy had mentioned.

Anyway, thanks for your advice.

Do we have any approach to filter the blank field while using Import Manager?

Best Regards,

Natthapong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Natthapong,

Do we have any approach to filter the blank field while using Import Manager?

Yes, Using Import Manager you can do it , but its bit a manual work.

In Import Manager--> Match Records Tab --> Here in the down, you can see Record Matching<->Source Records, where you can see all of your source records with default import action.. Here you can overwrite the default import action..

What i mean to say is here you have source field for which you have blank values NULL, you can sort that field in ascending or descending order where for this field all the records which have NULL, you can right click on all of these records and set "Skip" which will not allow you to create these records with NULL Values in MDM.

For Automation, It is required you to either use MDM Workflow or BPM etc workflow.

Regards,

Mandeep Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep Singh,

I have tried your approach, It works.

Thanks so much.

Anyway, for automation, If the system is batch processing at night time.

I mean the data is interfaced automatically by itself without any workflow.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks so much for your sharing.

Best Regards,

Natthapong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Natthapong,

By Automation i mean here is if u want it to import into MDM using MDM Import Server (MDIS) then it requires MDM Workfflow. You can  also make use of BPM workflow where with the help of BRM you can define rule that so and so fields should not blanked etc.

Yes, you are right tht for automation source system is batch processing at night time but when it reaches MDM Inboud ready folder then using MDM Import Manager (which is manual) then you can Skip records with Blank fields but if u want to use Import Server (MDIS Services) then for this automatic import you require MDM Workflow to check blank values for fields.

Hope you got my point.

Regards,

Mandeep Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep Singh,

I got your point.

Thanks so much.

It is the good support my idea.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,

Natthapong