Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RHANA Package

ramesh_duraisamy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Expert,

We are trying to integrate R Console (Open Source) with HANA, We have established JDBC/ODBC connection through R with available package (http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/available_packages_by_name.html).

But the SAP is not recommending the above approach! they strongly refer to install RHANA package to transfer large amounts of columnar datasets. Can any one came across this situation?! Also kindly let me know the available link for the RHANA package?

Thanks and Regards,

Ramesh D

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

The R integration with HANA is planned for HANA 1.0 SPS4. For SPS3, it was only delivered/supported for a group of pilot customers.  You won't be able to get the SAP package for R integration until SPS4.

ramesh_duraisamy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Is HANA SP04 is released? can we install RHANA Package?! Kindly let me know the procedure?

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ramesh_duraisamy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Is HANA SP04 is released? can we install RHANA Package?! Kindly let me know the procedure?

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Yes SPS4 was released late last week and is available to download from the Service Marketplace.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

May I know where can I find the RHANA package for downloading?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please tell me how to get the RHANA package?

I get an error while trying to install it in R 3.1.2 ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi sidharth mishra,

Did you find where to get RHANA package ?

Is it supported by SAP HANA team ? I heard that it is no longer supported, and the only way to connecto R to Hana DB is via RODBC/ODBC.

Regards,

Imane

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas Jung,

Can we download or RHANA Package ?

Is it still supported by SAP HANA team, because I heard that it is no longer supported?

Regards,

Imane

MakotoS
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm curious what type of R - HANA integration you are talking about?

The R integration using Rserve are still there and you can find the info on help.sap.com

http://help.sap.com/hana/SAP_HANA_R_Integration_Guide_en.pdf

regards,

Makoto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am talking about the one that consider SAP HANA as a database.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjVhZOt97XKA...

If you open this file, on slide 17 they are using RHANA to transfer data between R and Hana.

Regards,

Imane

MakotoS
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Imane,

As far as I see this is a very old document and the RHANA package has never been released to our customers officially.

Instead, you can use the Inside-Out approach as is written in the online help.

There's a similar discussion here, too.

Regards,

Makoto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you Makoto !!!

I have another question if you don't mind. In the outside-in architecture, where should I define the data sources and users passwords, is-it in the R console or in the HANA side? The thing is that the company is "calculating" the SAP HANA bill by the number of users/month. I am guessing if I define the data sources and user password in the R console (session), I wont be counted as another user.

Best regards,

Imane

MakotoS
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You can find the information about authentication things in the online help doc above.

I mean this one. please try to read through this document.

http://help.sap.com/hana/SAP_HANA_R_Integration_Guide_en.pdf

The user will access to HANA server first and will try to connect to Rserve with a kind of system user.

Regards,

Makoto

MakotoS
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

By the way, I have seen the outside-In Approach itself in a recent R-Integration session (e.g. TechED 2015 session DMM265.).

The RHANA library was not released to the customers but the approach to use ODBC is still valid.

The only important thing is that we need to care about the size of data transfer  especially if that is a huge data.

Regards,

Makoto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Makoto,

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

What do you mean by "we need to take care about the size of data transfer". I have a general idea but I would like to have the point of view of an expert/experienced.

Regards,

Imane

Former Member
0 Kudos

http://scn.sap.com/community/hana-in-memory/blog/2012/01/26/hana-meets-r

Hi Makoto,

Sorry for disturbing you, but I have one more question. Does the Configuration posted by Alvaro Tejada Galindo is still valid, or does SAP HANA gave other options, because He used ODBC instead of JDBC?

Regards,

Imane

former_member182779
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I guess it all depends on the scenario and the personal preference I used ODBC for R...but used JDBC for Power Builder

But keep in mind that ODBC/JDBC allows you to connect R to SAP HANA...but you need an R Server to connect SAP HANA to R...

Greetings,

Blag.

Development Culture.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Blag,

Thank you !!!!!

If I want to use a dedicated R Server, and not execute R code on my machine, is there any other kind of R server in addition of RStudio Server ?

I found RServe, but I couldn't find a proper example of its utilisation, all I found is using eclipse and executing a normal procedure (adding, mean, ...) in eclipse, But not using eclipse as an interface to fetch data and execute R procedures. Do you have an idea about how we can use RServe ?

Greetings,

Imane,

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

ramesh_duraisamy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas, for prompt reply.