cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homogeneous System Copy: are jobs locked or not?

mario_bisonti2
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I need to execute homogeneous system copy from production ti quality.

When I start the process with sapinst etc. I need to know if, at the end of sapinst, the jobs are locked or not.

Because I wouldn't like that they started automatically at the end of the copy.

Could you help me?

Thanks.

Mario

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As this has been quite a discussion for a simple seeming question i would like to summarize a bit. There are a few statements i don't fully agree with, though we all agree that the jobs are not locked by default.

After the system copy procedure, the license will bu unusable

You have to be careful, because very often a temp license is generated automatically, thus the jobs would start.

But, there will be no step where it waits for your profile parameter adaption.

This is true only for older versions of sapinst, in the current versions you have the possibility to stop before SAP starts for the first time (i only have a screen ot the summary html)

Another possibility for homogeneous copies (when you use backup restore) would be to either lock the users or suspend the jobs on the source system for 5 minutes and then recover the database into this 5min time frame. But i rather prefer to lock the users directly on the target with sqlplus or do set the batch process to 0 as discussed.

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for addendum, wasn't sure about that.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mario,

in addition, consider the reports BTCTRNS1 and BTCTRNS2, that respectively allow you to suspend jobs on the source system before running the export and reactivate them on the target system after the import has been done.

Regards

Leo Capasso

mario_bisonti2
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks.

But I already made the copy of the datafile source system, without lock the jobs by the report BTCTRNS1

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You just need to ensure rdisp/wp_no_btc=0 before sapinst bring up SAP instance. Once SAP instance is up, run program btctrns1 to suspend all btc job.

You can change back the value for rdisp/wp_no_btc after ensure all btc jobs were suspended.

Cheers,

Nicholas Chang

mario_bisonti2
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, I could change rdisp/wp_no_btc to 0, but, is there a time when the installation process stops before start the instance, so could I change the parameter?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mario,

After the system copy procedure, the license will bu unusable. So, the background jobs will not be started. At this stage, you can delete the scheduled jobs sm SM37.

To be sure, you can set the profile parameter to "rdisp/wp_no_btc=0", at this stage

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mario,

After the system copy procedure, the license will bu unusable. So, the background jobs will not be started. At this stage, you can delete the scheduled jobs sm SM37.

To be sure, you can set the profile parameter to "rdisp/wp_no_btc=0", at this stage

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

that's right - safest way will be to set wp_no_btc to 0 before first startup.

This will also cover the case that batchjobs have been scheduled with user SAP* in source system.

But, there will be no step where it waits for your profile parameter adaption. Also system doesn't wait for confirmation to startup (at least in the releases I know). That means as soon as profile files are created (check /sapmnt/<SID>), you should modify number of batch jobs to 0, just to be sure.

Regards,

Peter

mario_bisonti2
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks.

But, is there a step, during the process when I can set BTC work process equal to 0 before the instance is started?

Or the process continues automatically and start the instance without I can stop the work process?

Thanks.

Mario

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> But, is there a step, during the process when I can set BTC work process equal to 0 before the instance is started?

It is not the problem. After the homogeneous system copy, if the destination host is different, existing SAP license will not be used. So, in this case, all the background jobs will not be started. After you installed the new license, jobs will be started. At this stage, before you install the sap license (after the system copy), you can login to the system with "SAP*" user and delete the scheduled jobs by using SM37.

I hope that it is clear.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mario,

>> When I start the process with sapinst etc. I need to know if, at the end of sapinst, the jobs are locked or not.

No they are not. But, the jobs will not be started unless you install the new SAP license

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

They will NOT be locked, so you either have to suspend them on the source before starting the copy, or deactivate the BTC work processes on the target.

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Additionally, to be sure to suspend background jobs, set the profile parameter rdisp/wp_no_btc=0

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik