cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Risks of deleting Project Profiles

0 Kudos

Hello,

We need to delete about 500 old project profiles to prevent them from being used again in new projects. Deleting a project profile in OPSA does not seem to have any effect on ongoing projects with that profile. For example, you can still add WBS-elements to a released project. That would be good news. Can anyone confirm that? Are there any negative effects for ongoing projects when you delete their project profile in OPSA?

Thanks,

Lou Theunissen (on behalf of Malcolm Fox).

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

adam_sobkowicz2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hello

I can't confirm it because it should be good tested in your SAP environment. Probably you can do it because project profiles give operational projects default values which you can change in your new created project. After this, values from project profile are not taken into any operation, only values from project, as I know. But you must remember about privileges, rules, some exits, ABAP programs which can base on values form this field. Value in operational project is hold in table PROJ so system remember ID of deleted profile there and doesn't ask for this value after deletion in OPSA.

But in other point of view advices of Gokul are good. I can advice you, make some set GS01-GS03 with values of profiles which you don't want to use any more. After this create some validation which protect creating new projects with these values. When all of your old projects will be closed you will delete all old profiles.

So general rule is don't be so fast in deleting anything in SAP system, because sometimes small detail can give you more work to do.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So general rule is don't be so fast in deleting anything in SAP system, because sometimes small detail can give you more work to do.

I completely agree with Adam's statement, above. For the time being you can create validations and restrict people from using the unwanted project profiles. Once you are sure that all the projects that were using the old project profiles are closed you can then take a decision on deleting these from the system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I dont think it would be a wise decision to delete project profiles that are already being used in some of the existing projects. The best practice here would be to close all the projects that are using these old profiles and create new ones with the relevant/new project profiles.

If there are any costs/revenues posted against the old projects you need to transfer them to the new projects and then go ahead with further execution in the new projects. This is not as straightforward as it sounds. There are a lot of things involved here which would be difficult to list down here.

As far as the negative effects are concerned it is not easy to list everything down here but i strongly feel that there definitely would be a negative impact of deleting the project profiles that are being used.