cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing field names in a repository in SAP MDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have CUSTOMER repository with fields  ADDRESS1, ADDRESS2, ADRESS3.

I want to change these fields to AD1, AD2, AD3.

How can i do that.

I tried doing it in console,,,but it was not possible. Do i have to go through MDMGX.

Please tell me step by step process.

Regards

Sumi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tanvi,

I can think about the two conditions, in which you cannot replace Address1,2... fields name with AD1,2... in your Customer repository:

1. Your Customer repository is Loaded and running
  2. Your MDM-User does not have modify field authorization

In your case, it can be both or any one of these conditions. Well..!! Let me explain to you both the situations.

Answer-1:

If a repository is running/loaded, you cannot perform any sechma related operations like create/modify/remove fields/tables. To make these kind of operations repository must be in unloaded mode.

Solution-1:

1. Right click on Customer repository and choose Unload Repository option and then try to modify your fields.

Note: You will be able to modify fields only if you have modification fields authorization.

Answer-2:

If a MDM user does not have field modification authorizations and if s/he will try to modify a field properties then s/he will get "Insufficient rights for operation" error:

Solution-2:

1. Follow the below mentioned steps to check, which role is assigned to your MDM user-id:
    1. Navigate Users table under Admin node in Console Hierarchy
    2. Select your user name in Users right-upper pane.
    3. In User Details right-lower pane, check the assigned role in Roles field, as shown below
  2. Follow the below mentioned steps, to modify your role:

Note: To perform this set of steps, login to your Customer repository with Administrative user in Console, who have all the Administrator rights.
    1. Navigate to Roles table under Admin node, in Console Hierarchy
    2. Select your role name in Roles right-upper pane
    3. In Role details pane, navigate to Functions [Default] --> Schema --> Modify Field.
    4. Click to Execute radio button under Access column to enable field modification authorization, as shown below:

Note: If your MDM user has assigned to multiple roles, then all the assigned roles should have Modify Field authorization. If any of the assigned role does not have Modify Field authorization, your MDM user might not be able to perform modification, as roles will create conflicts in this situation.

I hope, it will help you to solve your problem ...Please update with the result...!!

Thx/ -Tarun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganapati/Nitish/Tarun,

Thanks to all of you guys but i have to change the code value and not the name value of the Address field of customer table.

I tried changing the code value but it shows,,,"changing the code will invalidate any import and syndication map with reference to this item. Do you want to continue ?"

What should i  do in this case.

Please let me know.

Regards.

Sumi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tanvi,

This message, which you are getting during modification of your field's code, is a warning message.  The message "Changing the code will invalidate any import and syndication map with reference to this item. Do you want to continue? " is alerting you about your import/syndication maps.

Let me explain this message to you: This message means, if you will change your Address field's code, which you have used Address field in your import/syndication map then after changnig the code of Address field your import/syndication map may invalidate and you might have to create a new map.

So, go ahead to click Yes and save the field code but also check your map (import/syndication) in which you used the field.

Hope it will help you... ..!!

Thx/ -Tarun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tanvi,

Consider you already have a saved map in which you have mapped a field called Address, now if you change the code of this particular field and load the repository with update indices, then the saved map will automatically get updated with the changed code.

Can you confirm the Version and SP of MDM that you are using?

Rgds,

Prasad

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I´ve got similar problem.

I chaged all the fields that i want to rename, but when i got to the repository i see the old names not the new names.

I see the rename fields in the console, data manager and import manager, but the names does not chage in the OCI and in the catalog view.

Example

Rename fields = Standar name fields

Codigo de material = ID producto

Descripción corta = Descripción breve

Precio = Informaciones sobre el precio

This is the OCI or IU

This is a example of the repository.

Pls I need help.

thaks

Ochojavi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Tanvi,

To change the Field names in a repository you need to have the required authorization.

Follow the below steps to check the authorization and to make necessary changes.

1. Log into console.
  2. Connect to Customer repository.
  3. Go to Admin Table.
  4. Go to Roles Table and select the Role to which you are assigned.
  5. Select the Functions Tab and under the "Schema" node and check if the "Modify field" option is set to "None" or "Execute".
  6. If the option is set to None, you will not be able to modify the field properties.
  7. If the Option is set to "Execute", then make sure the repository is in "Unloaded state" and do the necessary changes to the Address field in the customer main table.

MDMGX is used for extracting the Reference table data (Lookup Tables) from SAP ECC, it does not play any part in editing fields or tables in SAP MDM.

Rgds,

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tanvi,

This can be done in console, for that you should have access for that repository, after unloading it ,

1)go to the particular table in customer reporitory whose field name you want to edit.

2)than you just have to fields, under field details pane ,you can enter new name.

after doing all modifications just load the repository.

tell us your findings after performing these steps.

Regards

Nitish Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This can be possible through Console.

Right click on customer repository. You will find the option for 'Unload Repository'. Once you unload the repository go to the Customer main table of fields which you want to modify. Now you will able to change the field name. After changing, load the repository with option 'Update indices'.

Regards,

Gaurang