cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derived Attributes Views

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

What is the purpose of Derived Attributes Views in HANA? Besides their description, nothing else is editable that is different from the parent AT view.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

manish_umarwadia2
Participant
0 Kudos

The only purpose I see is organizational, i.e. to take common attribute views and represent them under different packages (FI/SD/MM) for functional completeness of analytic views/calc views and attribute views used in the analytic views and calc views for that functional area. This would be analogous to infoobjects catalogs in BW where infoobjects can be shown in multiple places.

Package-level security could be another consideration if you have one package for all your attribute views which is what SAP does for its RDS solutions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

Benefits of Derived Attribute view -

1. Just like Reference Characteristics in BW, you manage only one Attribute View and the derived ones can be used in different functional areas.
  2. In the Logical View(of Analytic View), it allows to join the attribute views only once. So if you want to join the attribute view twice, derived attribute views help.
  3. Governance - Organizations where different projects are not allowed to create their master data. They can create derived at views and use in their objects.

Issues that I have faced -

• Minor one - the Default client of a Derived Attribute View gets set as 0 or 1 even though your base attribute may have Dynamic or a particular value. Not a big issue as long as you include that in an Analytic View.

/bikas

Former Member
0 Kudos

From Modeling Guide:

If you want to create an attribute view from an existing one so that it works as an alias to the

existing attribute view, choose Derived and proceed as follows:

1. Select the required model.

2. Choose Finish.

The derived attribute view refers to the attributes of the existing one. Any changes made to

the existing attribute view are be reflected in the derived attribute view.

The derived attribute view is read-only.

• If you want to create an attribute view from an existing model with some changes to it, choose

Copy From, and proceed as follows:

1. Select the required model.

2. Choose Finish.

hai_murali_here
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In some business cases, it is required to use the same attribute view more than once. (Example :Two logical join of different join types but defined on the same attribute view.)

Another example, Sales table has 3 dates i.e Sales_Open_Date, sales_Closed_Date, Sales_Begin_Date. All these columns should be joined with the date attribute view separately

In such cases, one can derive an attribute view using the base view which acts as reference to the base attribute view.

• The derived attribute view will be opened in the read only mode. The only

editable field will be its description.

• The derived attribute view will act as a reference to its base attribute view.

Hope this helps

Rgds,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I we are creating the attribute view ,as you mentioned the three tables,for logical screen it will have the three tables and one date table so it will work right and why we need to make it as derived.? could you please provide screens