cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java Development Environment setup

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would like to get some guidance on setting up a development environment for ISA.

I've worked in ABAP for the past 8 years so I am familiar with the SAP side but new to the java world.

I seem to be learning the java language fairly quickly but I am totally stumped on how to set up a development environment.

At the moment I am using WAS 6.20 and ISA 4.0. I'm writing code in TextPad and compiling with javac. There has got to be a better way. As a rookie I could sure use some type of environment with a syntax checker.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Brent

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help. I did try to setup eclipse but kept getting an error message when I start the application.

the message says it can't find the xml parser so I have been unable to start eclipse.

here is the error. Am I missing some Java SDK stuff?

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi Mar 15, 2005 11:22:40.250 !MESSAGE Error registering XML parser services.

!STACK 0

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)

at

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brent,

You can follow instructions from "E-Selling: Building&Updating Mod. Internet Sales Web Applic. ".

Regards,

Altuð Bayram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brent,

Sorry the guide must be "Internet Sales 4.0 Development and Extension Guide ".

Regards,

Altuð Bayram

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Brent,

I guess you're using jdk 1.3, that's why you're missing the JAXP interfaces. You have to start eclipse with jdk 1.4.2.

Please go to http://service.sap.com/instguides and have a look at Installation & Upgrade Guides -> SAP NetWeaver -> Release 04 -> Installation -> Dev Env -> Installation Guide - SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio.

Best regards,

Vladimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vladimir,

You were correct about using jdk 1.3, I tried an older version of Eclipse and got around the error.

There was a lot of good information at the link you sent me. After looking at some of the documentation, I think I'm going to use Netweaver.

Thanks again for the help.

Brent

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brent,

You can use Eclipse for development environment. There are guides for this issue at service.sap.com/instguides.

Regards.

Altuð Bayram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You might be better off with the NetWeaver Developer Studio, although this is only available via service.sap.com. This includes support for JSP, XML and more advanced techniques that SAP offers.

If you don't want NW Developer Studio, than you could also consider MyEclipse, which includes some much needed support for JSP, Struts, XML, etc. ISA consists of a large number of JSPs, linked together with Struts so any development would require at least support for these techniques. You can try MyEclipse via http://www.myeclipseide.com/.

NB: I'm not affiliated with MyEclipse in any way, except that I'm a happy user and subscriber of their product!

Regards, Jurjen.