Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared installation path - upgrade from 7.3 to 7.6

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi.

I am about to upgrade a maxdb 7.3. installation to 7.6. The MaxDB instance is used for SAP Content Server. In the upgrade guide it says: "The database instance is the only instance that refers to the installation path of the software version that you want to upgrade."

The thing is that I have two databases (SDB and TST) in my maxDB database, and they share the same installation path.

dbmcli on SDB>db_enum

OK

SDB     C:\SAPDB\SDB\DB 7.3.0.0 fast    running

TST     C:\SAPDB\SDB\DB 7.3.0.0 fast    running

dbmcli on SDB>inst_enum

OK

7.3.0.35     c:\sapdb\sdb\db

dbmcli on TST>inst_enum

OK

7.3.0.35     c:\sapdb\sdb\db

I tried to run the upgrade and it failed miserably, and I suspect the fact that the installation path is the same caused the upgrade to fail.

The TST database was created using a restore, and during the creation I had no option but to specify the same installation path.

This is a VMware environment, so I was able to restore a snapshot made before the upgrade. I am now ready to try again, and this time make it work.

The question is if it is possible to change the installation path, and how? Right now the only viable option I see it is to install another Maxdb instance, and restore the TST database into the new MaxDB instance.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Regards,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

Your question was already discussed in the thread:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1844456

As I could see in the information you gave above there are more than one instance based on installation "c:\sapdb\sdb\db"  on the database server.

You could also check it wih the next commands on the database server::
'dbmcli -s inst_enum'
'dbmcli -s db_enum'

You can use SDBINST to install the database server software 7.3.0.35 into a new directory for the instance TST.
To do this, call and administrator

'SDBINST -package "Database Kernel" -depend C:\SAPDB\TST\DB'.

After that, you have to assign one of your databases to the new server software dir.

I recommend to create the cold database backup for migration, TST database, before to run the next command.

'dbmcli -u <dbmusr>,<dbmpwd> -d TST db_drop withoutfiles'

< withoutfiles option has to be used, so the configuration and data/log files will be not deleted >

'C:\SAPDB\TST\DB\pgm\dbmcli -s -R C:\SAPDB\TST\DB db_create TST <dbmusr>,<dbmpwd>'

Regards, Natalia Khlopina

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Natalia.

Thanks for your reply. As it turns out, we didn't really need the TST database, so we dropped it. Now the upgrade went without any problems.

Regards, Thomas

Answers (0)