cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One SAP HANA Appliance - HANA DB for SAP BW 7.3 & Use SLT for Multiple Source Systems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mates,

I have a query as below. It would be great if you help me with the possibilities.

SAP Says that scenarios below are possible:

1. Use SAP HANA DB with SAP BW 7.3 (i.e. Migrate existing DB to HANA DB)

2. Use SLT to transfer table to table data from Source Systems (Having the replication server hosted in the Source Systems).

Now, if a company is purchasing the whole SAP HANA appliance, is it possible to use 1 and 2 in the same setup ? i.e. I want to keep the existing BW solutions (up to TODAY) untouched replacing only the DB and future developments will be in SAP HANA.

.... and migration of the existing SAP BW solutions to SAP HANA will be done slowly.

Kindly advice.

--

Sankar Kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

One more thing, in my PERSONAL (stricty personal) opinion, Native HANA is not that mature enough to be an Enterprise Data Warehousing platform. BW on the other hand has evolved over so many years to be a mature platform for the Enterprise applications. Although there are some "scope for improvements" in current BW / BI application server, I think it will take some more time for the Native HANA to catch up with were BW is currently today.

Regards,

Ravi

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sankar:

Here's my thoughts for the best in-class next-generation BI solution. Deploy HANA as a standlone server with two logical system partitions. 1st partition for standalone HANA modeling and 2nd partition to host HANA DB for BW 7.3. This way you get to exploit HANA performance for both SAP BW system as a database and also use the HANA power for standalone non-BW (ECC and flat-file) application that need good performance.  When it comes to SLT or BODS, I personally suggest SLT if your main source in ECC and you do not plan to leverage on BW content.

Check with your SAP sales rep on licensing implications on the above solution.

Presently, I am pushing my client to implement the above infrastructure for BI.

Also, please read my executive summary on SAP HANA @ http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/u1AO5NidaMTYSD49JoHsjg

Side note: Ravi and Neha made very good points. My experience has been that when it comes to project planning and cost we do not always get the freedom to build a state of the art BI solution in 1st take. There is always budget constraints and management preferences that will have to be accomodated that forces us to take short-cuts even though knowing the pitfalls.

Regards,

Rama

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maybe a bit late to reply on this old threat, but ok. By default SLT creates a new schema for every source system, which causes you to add logic later on to consolidate the two sources. I therefore wrote a blog post on how to use two seperate source systems into one schema in SLT.

Kind regards,

Bastiaan Lascaris

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sankar,

Quite an interesting point and also very much debatable.

1) Can you have BW on HANA and Standalone HANA (or Native HANA) on one single server:

Answer is technically yes and depends on the licencing. With Extended Enterprise licence you can achieve the same. But the bigger question is how are you going to use both the options together.

As of today, you can expose Native HANA Models to BW using Virtual and Composite Providers, but you cannot use the BW Models (DSOs and Cubes) in Native HANA. It is not allowed as of now.

Secondly, keeping the existing BW application AS IT IS TODAY may not be a good option as once you migrate the underlying DB to HANA, you may want to redesign the BW application to make the best use of HANA. You can remove the entire InfoCube layer (depending on some use cases) and re-write the business logic to make best use of HANA capabilities. The entire Layered Architecture of current BW can be revised with HANA.

Subsequent development in native HANA depends upon the factors like how would you be able to integrate the new development with the existing application, do you have the proper skillset to perform the development on Native HANA architecture and other factors.

As I said it is quite debatable and a longer discussion point.

Regards,

Ravi

former_member182277
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sankar,

1. If you are purchasing HANA appliance then HANA DB and HANA Studio will come.

2. If you want to setup SLT for replication real time data into SAP HANA then you need to buy it as a separate license and SLT.

you are not able to use SLT or BW 7.3 on the HANA Server. you need to buy the separate licenece and server for the same.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards,

neha