cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reputation points bug

former_member183777
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Whenever I earn points, my total points go down. Is this a know Issue with new scn

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Your lifetime points (see reputation tab) should not go down, unless in exceptional cases content is deleted, points are removed by moderators, or somebody that awarded you points changed his mind.

However I assume you are referring to the points as displayed next to your active contributor status. These are for a rolling 12 months period, so several times a day, older points are being removed from that figure.

I'm sure there is no actual "when I earn them, they go down" cause and effect. This would be a nice feature though to be activated for repeat SCN rule offenders!

Thomas

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

bpawanchand
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vineet Gupta,

May be the logic which I tried to observe is like this, 

1. Till before 30 min my points were 1069
  2. I have not scored anything yesterday
  3. Today I scored 23 points.
  4. Just now my score is changed to 1046 which is 1069 - 23.

So If you try to score on an average 20 points every day then if you missed on any of the day.... then the system might i repeat MIGHT take the total of the current day score and based on the average it might reduce you current year points...

Any comments on this hopeless logic are welcome......

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Pure coincidence. Keep watching and report back if you spot a statistically significant pattern

Thomas

harishtk1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There used to be a feature by which we could see the points earned within any date range. Looks like this feature has gone away now - there is no easy way to check whether points have reduced because of ageing.

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, a lot of the transparency has disappeared. I'm in contact with SCN administration about it. I cannot guarantee improvement, but will try my best.

Thomas

harishtk1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The OP has a point about points.

Someone just awarded me 5 points, and I got a notification about his reponse in that thread. So I logged in to check the thread, and I cold see my points total there - It was 404 today morning, so I would expect it to be 409. Instead it is 381.

The most logical explanation is that 28 points of mine have dropped out from the bottom.

But I am pretty sure about one thing. I have never gained 28 points in a single day ever. I myself am fairly desultory about posting in these forums, and people are even more desultory in giving out points, so I would be surprised if 364 days before today, I had gained 28 points in one day which dropped out today.

Before anyone asks, No, I don't particularly care about these points, but this behaviour has been observed by me, I find it remarkable, and there is no way to check. Explanations such as the points dropped out, or someone unassigned points are all specious, but I do not think they are valid at least in my case.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually, I think it's 23 points and your reputation now shows points from all sources; so if you got other points (say for assigning points), they may have been what dropped off.

Rob

harishtk1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

I daresay there is some straightforward explanation.

I make it 28 including the 5 I gained today. Iny any case, I have only asked a handful of questions in my entire sdn stay and at 1 point per assigned points, I doubt if I would accumulate 28 or even 23 on a single day. 

Just this month, probably for the first time in my life, I gained 25 points for a single thread, but that was given over a few days, not all on the same day. Alo a year ago, the points system was different.

But this is just one of the little annoying things about the new sdn. I cannot find out for certain, I just have to let it go. Again, I am fine with it, as like Whose LIne is it Anyway?., the points don't matter. Just saying, if it is happening to many people, then maybe there are grounds for investigation.

former_member183777
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Harish,  thanks for sharing your experience. I really don't care about the points and the only reason for raising the question was to help identify an issue if there was one.
former_member183777
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Harish,  thanks for sharing your experience. I really don't care about the points and the only reason for raising the question was to help identify an issue if there was one.
harishtk1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No worries Vineet, There has been a tendency, whenever someone raises an issue of points for people to first ask why you are bothered about points, That is why I issued a disclaimer myself. I too am just highlighting what may be an issue. AT the very least, there being no way of confirming what happened to the missinig points is an issue as far as I am concerned.

harishtk1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI

I do not think it is a coincidence any more. I think there is an issue.

My points total has remained stagnant at 398 for several weeks . I havent even been visiting SCN all that much.

Today I was awarded 10 points. and immediately 6 points were deducted. My total stands now at 402 points.

I accumulate points at a very low rate, and as I had not contirbuted much for several weeks, I would have expected a slow decay of my points tally, but it has only reduced the day I got more points. As this has happened on several occasions, and apparently not to me alone, it may not be coincidence.

I am not sure what exactly could be wrong. Maybe the algorithm that recalculates points over the last 12 months is only tirggered, when the points total is updated  - so the final points tally is correct, but it gives the impression that every time you gain points, you lose reputation points.

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I start believing you guys

Only a deep technical expert / system admin could maybe shed light on this, let's see if it happens.

Thomas

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

After some more observation I think that your conclusion is correct. Each (?) time you earn points, the system checks for older points and deducts these as necessary, so often enough your 12 months rolling total goes down after earning new points. Quite motivating, isn't it?

Thomas

0 Kudos

One more victim of new SCN While there is no option to check lifetime points we generate nice assumptions how it behaves.

Honestly, I do not understand why it is a big deal to add an option to check lifetime ponts.

Regards,

Alex.

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can see the lifetime points in your user profile, under the "Reputation" tab. These will not go down, unless points are deliberately removed by an original poster, moderator or admin.

Usually the confusion is around the 12 months rolling total, which is prominently displayed on top of each page next to the user name.

Thomas

0 Kudos

Thomas,

There are only recent points that does not allow an user to drill down at least 12 months. Please, let me say this way: 'While there is no option to check ALL lifetime points we generate nice assumptions how it behaves.' So, I still feel as a victim

Alex.

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I see what you mean now, indeed the very short, visible points history is a huge step back in transparency compared to the "old SCN".

Thomas

former_member183777
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thomas ,

SCN showed 438 points for me yesterday. I earned 10 points today and now the total is 412. Is it computing expired points anytime points are awarded?

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Vineet,

There's a chance that some of the points are now older than 12 months so they no longer count towards the current total for the past 12 months.

Your lifetime points, however, would have increased by 10 points.

Jason