cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMD Agent is not able to connect the Satellite System (J2EE stack)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are trying to finish an upgrade to Solution Manager 7.1 but are stuck on step 11 of Managed System Configuration in SOLMAN_SETUP.

We are getting this error: "SMD Agent is not able to connect to Satellite System (J2EE stack)." 

We are not sure why this is trying to use the above URL with only the hostname and not our fully qualified domain name. But, that URL will work. As well, we are not sure where the double forward slashes after the port number are coming from, but the URL does work regardless.

Our System Prep and Basic Configuration are all green and cannot find any previous steps that might have led us into this corner.

We can't find and Notes or blog posts about this particular issue, so we have opened a message with SAP. But meanwhile, we were hoping that maybe someone might be able to help us!

Thank you,

John

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

John,

It's hard to request more information to help troubleshoot as it hits directly at your ports and hosts in use but I hope this helps -

Have you connected an SMD/DAA agent to the managed system successfully?

On step 5 of the managed system setup, make sure your "Load Balancer Host" is simply the FQDN of the managed system.

Next, check that the  "Message Server Port" is not 5XX00 but rather the j2ee/ms/port value from the SAP  profile which is usually 39<instance#> and your "HTTP" entry is the HTTP message server port, usually 81<instance#>.

Regards,

Josh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Josh,

Thank you for the advice. We checked and those things you mentioned seem to all be correct (Diag. Agent is connected, and the Load Balancer Host is the FQDN, and the ports use the schema you mentioned.

This is sort of why we are confused!

Thanks,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

So your error is saying there's a connection problem to SEP via p4 port.  Can you connect to the visual administrator on SEP to test the P4 port? 

What SAP version is SEP and what DAA version do you have deployed on the SEP host?

Former Member
0 Kudos

John,

It is the username/password entered in step 5 for the java system that you need to check.

Regards

Ryan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Josh,

Yes, I can connect to Visual Admin for SEP over the P4 port.

Our SEP is SAP version 7.01, SP8.

The DAA version is: 7.10.4.2.20120328113404

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ryan,

If you are referring to the JAVA Parameters Setup User (Admin), then, yeah, that one seems to work fine. The Test Login works and we can use it to log on to the systems.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you post the SMDagentapplicationX.log here?

Also, did you state that there are no references to "/irj/portal" in any of your managed system setup screens?

Former Member
0 Kudos

John,

Is the user that you are using a J2ee Administrator?

Regards

Ryan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Josh,

Our portal pages do use "irj/portal".

Ok, attached here is our SMDAgentApplication.3 log which had some errors. I had to scrub all references to our hostname with"xxxxx_xxx" for obvious reasons.

I converted it to a text file so I could attach it.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry if I wasn't clear on the "/irj/portal" reference but I meant you shouldn't be using anything but FQDN - hostname.domain.com for any of the managed system setup screens that are asking for a host. 

I'm still looking through the log too but so far nothings jumping out at me outside of the SVMCRT_CMS_GET_TOP_METHODS_VMC_NOT_ACTIVE errors which are described in note 1650856 .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could you provide scrubbed screenshots of what you have in steps 3 and 4 (Assign Diagnostics Agent and Enter System Parameters)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok we will verify that we only have used the FQDN on those screens.

I looked at that note and I don't think we are having any Wily issues, but thanks for that.

Here are those screenshots...I hope even with them scrubbed they might be helpful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I thought SEP was a java only system...can you send step 5 values then?  Should be titled "Enter System Parameters".

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah our SEP is a dual stack system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Josh,

Thanks again for all your help today! I have to leave now but my colleague Paul is going to take over for me.

Cheers,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

John,

Since this is a dual stack system, under the java parameters for message server port and http boxes, you should be using the SCS instance number for these parameters, not the abap instance.

It's hard to validate this without seeing the values but can you confirm this?  By default, a solution manager installation will pick abap instance value +1 for the SCS instance number. So, for example 00 abap / 01 SCS and you should be using Message Server Port = 3901 HTTP = 8101 in this example.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Josh,

I have received confirmation that we have the correct SCS instance numbers entered for the JAVA messenger server port and HTTP values.

Thanks

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Paul,

Can you provide the values for the following profile parameters?

j2ee/ms/port =

ms/server_port_0 =

j2ee/scs/system =

Former Member
0 Kudos

SSM

j2ee/ms/port = 3909

ms/server_port_0 = PROT=HTTP,PORT=81$$

j2ee/scs/system = 09

SEP

j2ee/ms/port = 3968

ms/server_port_0 = PROT=HTTP,PORT=81$$

j2ee/scs/system = 68

Former Member
0 Kudos

John,

Did you confim the user you have entered to connect to the managed system is a J2EE Administrator? I believe the user will need the SAP_J2EE_ADMIN role assigned.

Regards

Ryan

Former Member
0 Kudos

John,

What system is SSM? Assuming SEP is the system referenced in your step 5 screenshot, I have a couple things to try.

1. Is SEP the Solution Manager system or a dual stack managed system?

Assuming the latter, you should have "Mark if system has a user store..." checked.  I would actually try making this change first, re-saving, try step 11 and then move on to trying #2.

2. Ensure the following parameters are set in step 5.

Load Balancer Host = SEP FQDN hostname

Load Balancer Port = 81<abap instance #>

Message Server Port = 3968

HTTP = 8168

3.  Switch to edit mode and save again.

This can help kick step 11 to recognizing your correct parameters from step 5.

Regards,

Josh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Josh and Ryan,

In answer to your previous post, Ryan, yes, the user in Step 3 for the Managed System Administrator has the SAP_J2EE_ADMIN role. It is not explicitly called "J2EE_ADMIN", though. That user exists with the same role, but when we try the Test Logon it fails.

This hybrid Java/Abap user we are using for the Managed System Admin was created early on and maybe that is the issue or one of them we are having. I haven't been able to figure out why I can't use the user called J2EE_ADMIN, though.

As for what is SSM, Josh, let me explain. We are doing a practice run on the upgrade on some sandboxes. SSM is acting as our Solution Manager system, SEP is acting as the DEV and another one, SXP, is acting as the Production box. Since we have been focusing on the SEP config (which mirrors SXP), I haven't mentioned the third box. I hope that makes sense to you.

So, yes, all these systems are dual stacked, ABAP and JAVA. So, this is why we did not check the box "Mark if the system has a user store..". The wording on the config says do not do this if you have a "double stack", but I have assume it means the same thing.

I followed your advice and changed the Load Balancer port to 8168. This lead to the transaction telling me I had to reexecute the Web Services Logical Port Creation in Step 8, so I did that as well and was successful.

Finally, I went to step 11 and reexecuted the Config Check, but it came back with the same error that I posted in my first post.

I think we need to still play with the users that could be getting the authorization error, and I still need to figure out why in the error it has a URL with only the hostname and not the FQDN.

Thank you for your continued help on this.

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

John,

you should try re-running the smdsetup script for the DAA agent on SEP with the following,

smdsetup managingconf hostname:"sapms://<fqn of SEP>" port:"8163" [optional user:"<...>" pwd:"<...>"]

The user here is normally SMD_AGENT and the script gets run out of /usr/sap/DAA/SMDAgent/script

If the script comes back clean according to http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/SMSETUP/Diagnostics+Agents

Then go through your managed system setup screen again up to 11 and run the test.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

John,

Can you manaully log on to the URL with the username/password you are specifying during the setup. The error message above is showing an "unauthorized" message.

Regards

Ryan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick responses.

Could you please tell me which step in the setup and which user are you referring to?

The users we defined in Step 3, we can log on with those credentials, but of course there still could be an authorization problem somewhere with one of them...

But, in Step 7, with the two Java users, that step is "green", but we are getting errors like this in step 7:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Looks like you are getting a http 401 error.  Insure that the user has the appropriate authorizations and that the password is correct.