cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client delete consumes disk space

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I run client delete in SCC5 on our test system and the CLIENTDELETE job is running for 3 days now (the test server is quite slow). The deleted client was about 200 GB big.

What suprised me is that during the delete proces the free space on the filesystem is decreasing substantially. It has consumed more than 150 GB until now and I'm getting into troubles with low disk space. I've done the client refresh (client delete and import) on our test system several times but I've never noticed such extensive free space loss.

Is it common during the client delete? How to regain the lost free space?

Or how to find what is causing the disk space loss? We're on Red Hat Linux..

Thank you,

Ondrej

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

May be your DB archive log Dir. is getting filled, in case you have not changed it to noarchivelog mode (in case your DB is oracle)  or simple mode (for mssql).

Otherwise I can't see any reason Client deletion consuming available free disk space..

I found client deletion at OS level much faster than doing with SCC5.

Regards,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

You're right, Vishal, next time I'll do the client delete at OS level.. SCC5 is incredibly slow.

Yes, that's it! Stupid me, I forgot to change the DB to noarchivelog. Thank you a lot for the hint.

Therefore next problem is how to remove safely the huge amount of archlog files after the client delete ends?

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What database are you using?...  You can simply take a backup of the archive logs.

As per the space used by the client you might have to run a DB reorganization to avail of the empty space.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

NP Ondre

As it is a sandbox system, you can take offline backup and safely delete these archives...

If you can not do the same then you have to take archive log backup and delete them..

Thanks,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, I'll try that, thank you, Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

The backup dir is on the same filesystem so it will not free up disk space We're on Oracle. OK, first I'll do the DB reorg, then offline DB backup and then delete the archlog files.

Thank you all...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sounds Good...

But DB reorg also needs additional free disk space, I hope you will remain with that

Cheers,

Vishal

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if this is just a Sandbox system, then you can just delete the archive logs but consider having a consistent full offline backup.

As mentioned by Vishal, you will need disk space for the reorganization so you might consider moving your backups to tape or to another media/filesystem.

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

The disk is almost full. It seems I'll have to temporarily move some of those archlog files to another machine. Then do DB reorg, move them back, do a full offline DB backup and then delete them. Hopefully it will work and Oracle won't end with error during the DB reorg because of missing archlog files.

It is test/devel system. Unfortunatelly we have non-standard solution: in this one system we have the test client and also devel client. Therefore some caution has to be there...

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Consider to use hints from the following OSS notes to speed-up standard client copy procedure:

67205 - CC-INFO: Copying large and productive clients

446485 - CC-ADMIN: Special copying options

489690 - CC INFO: Copying large production clients

541311 - CC-INFO: Parallel processes FAQ

Regards

Leo Capasso

Former Member
0 Kudos

May be your DB archive log Dir. is getting filled, in case you have not changed it to noarchivelog mode (in case your DB is oracle)  or simple mode (for mssql).

Otherwise I can't see any reason Client deletion consuming available free disk space..

I found client deletion at OS level much faster than doing with SCC5.

Regards,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ondrej,

Which file system are we talking about ?

Regards.

Ruchit.