Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consume Webservice ABAP

bernd_speckmann
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there,

we want to comsume an external webservice (wsdl) via ABAP. We got it working, but there are still some questions open.

Are there best pratices for consuming a web service via ABAP (Client Proxy, logical Port via SOAMANAGER)?

What about the Services Registry(SR) and the Enterprise Service Repository (ESR)? Are they mandatory for our scenario? Are they recommended?

What about security? Are there best practices or recommendations for a secure scenario?

Thanks ahead

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ttrapp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bernd,

there is a good document that describes element of a SAP SOA scenarios: Enterprise SOA Development Handbook.1.1

When calling external web services you need neither SR nor ESR. ESR is optional if want to save the WSDL as part of a software component version but not necessary. An additional middleware like PI is necessary when there are many SOA scenarios and you need governance.

Security is always important and should study the SAP Library. Here is a good starting point what kind of security standard is supported: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/de/48/8ebbba66be06b2e10000000a42189b/frameset.htm

In older releases some security standards have only been supported when using Java-Components like CE and PI. In fact AS ABAP got stronger and supports more and more standards.

Best Regards,

Tobias

bernd_speckmann
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias,

thanks for your answer. So for such a scenario (consuming only one external webservice) it is not necessary to setup SR or ESR.

Is it right, that the security is given by the offered external webservice (ssl encryption, authentication...)?

I just have to create the client proxy and logical port in my abap system and let this system communicate through the firewall with this service using the given security options?

Thanks ahead,

Bernd

ttrapp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need a Service Registry only if you want to use Service Groups - I think you need at least NW 7.02 for this feature.

I just have to create the client proxy and logical port in my abap system and let this system communicate through the firewall with this service using the given security options?

For security issues certain prerequisites have to be fulfilled: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp2/helpdata/en/f4/ef0073cf6e4d20928a13d3f4021332/frameset.htm BTW: SAP Library has a mechanism for rating and feedback - feel free to use it to tell what is well described and if something can be improved.

For secure communication you should use the web dispatcher to establish secure point to point connections between IP adresses.

Best Regards,

Tobias

bernd_speckmann
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias,

thanks for your answer again. But how can I use the web dispatcher for outgoing connections? I think I can use the web dispatcher when provisioning services. But consuming? Please explain how...

Regards

ttrapp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, I confused 2 SCN threads - web dispatcher is useful for controling incoming request...

Answers (0)