cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem starting SAP after kernel patch level update

jcarbonell
Participant
0 Kudos

I am trying to update the kernel patch level in our Solution Manager 7.0 EhP1, from 150 to 176. It runs on Windows Server 2008 R2 with Oracle 10.2.0.4. Once I have applied the new kernel, when I try to start the system, all the workprocesses die after a few seconds, and I get the following errors in the dev_w(x) logs:

I  *** ERROR => ShmCreate: Key=51 Inv.Size:req.=18250944, alloc.=18250896 [shmnt.c     629]

X  *** ERROR => ICreateAdmin sharedinitialization failed: 18250932 rc=6 [emxxi.c      198]

M  *** ERROR => DpEmInit: EmInit (6)[dpxxdisp.c   10467]

M  *** ERROR => DpMemInit: DpEmInit (-1)[dpxxdisp.c   10392]

M  ***DP_FATAL_ERROR => DpSapEnvInit: DpMemInit

It seems to be a memory problem, but I cannot identify the parameter(s) that control it. These are the current memory values:

• RAM: 10 GB
  • Windows paging file: 26 GB
  • Oracle sga_max_size: 4GB
  • PHYS_MEMSIZE: 10 GB
  • PG_MAXFS: 262144 KB
  • PG_SHM: 131072 KB
  • ROLL_MAXFS: 262144 KB
  • ROLL_SHM: 262144 KB

I would appreciate any suggestion about this problem.

Regards,

Jose

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Seems like a problem with the shared memory, you can try cleaning the ipc memory by using command,

cleanipc XX remove  (where XX is the instance number)

Regards,

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As Juan suggested do a cleanipc. However before that check if any zombie processes related to SAP/Database instance are running. If so kill them all and then run cleanipc.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,Ruchit,

Please help me .. Do we have Cleanipc command for Windows?

Please suggest how can we use this as the system environment for this discussion is Windows 2008 server.

I am not aware of this.

Thanks,

Jagadish.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jagadish,

Very good point. Seems both Juan and I missed the OS part. There is no cleanipc in Windows.  So yeah cleanipc won't work. Either kill the zombie processes if any. If that doesn't work reboot is an option.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank You, Ruchit.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, a good old kick to the power button should do.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

jcarbonell
Participant
0 Kudos

I have been able to solve the problem. I have restored again the old kernel, and repeated all the procedure, decompressing again the new kernel .SAR files. I do not know what happened the first time, maybe, as I applied the patches as part of a Java patches update with JSPM including the kernel, something went wrong, even though it did not informed of any error. Anyway, thank you again for your answers and your time.

Regards,

Jose

jcarbonell
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your answers. I have restarted the server, but it still does not work. I get the same error messages in the dev_w logs. Is there anything else that can be done?

Thanks,

Jose

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check if you have Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package installed.

Note 684106 - Microsoft runtime DLLs

Also, are you running any other systems in the same box?... does going back to the previous kernel start the system?, have you double checked that you applied the right kernel?

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jose,

Please publish the kernel details.  Using <sid>adm do disp+work on command prompt. Just need to make sure if right correct kernel has been applied. Further based on that detail may be we can look for some OSS note.

Regards.

Ruchit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jose,

Did u check after kernel has been updated your R3trans-d is running or not......?

As jagadish told that take re-boot the server and clear u r entire shared memory and start again.

It will help you.....

Regards,

Anil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jose,

Can you re-boot the server once and try to start SAP?

Thanks,

Jagadish.