cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Virtual & physical DB hostname

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts

1. In Production,We have cluster services in UNIX, with 2 nodes CI & DB.

My query is regarding virtual & physical DB host name. when i checked from SYSTEM->STATUS->Database data->HOSt-> it's pointing to physical DBhostname BUT Rz10->default profile->parameter SAPDBHOST->pointing to virtual DBhostname.

Moreover , in some activities we use Physical name, for others use virtual name. For eg:

a) to shutdown database we use physical DB name

b) T-code-DB13, execute Jobs using virtual Db name

2) In quality & development server, i found physical & virtual name are same, no such disprencies...

Please help...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Imaan,

>> 1. In Production,We have cluster services in UNIX, with 2 nodes CI & DB.

My query is regarding virtual & physical DB host name. when i checked from SYSTEM->STATUS->Database data->HOSt-> it's pointing to physical DBhostname BUT Rz10->default profile->parameter SAPDBHOST->pointing to virtual DBhostname.

There's no problem with the configuration. System status shows physical hostname

>> a) to shutdown database we use physical DB name

Could you clarify how do you perform this operation? Don't you stop the sap+db by "stopsap" or sqlplus? where do you use physical db name?

>> b) T-code-DB13, execute Jobs using virtual Db name

It is correct. you should use virtual hostname

>> 2) In quality & development server, i found physical & virtual name are same, no such disprencies...

As a rule of thumb, physical and virtual hostnames should be different. Could it be a special reason to minimize administrative works or use the hardware, more efficient?

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> b) T-code-DB13, execute Jobs using virtual Db name

It is correct. you should use virtual hostname

hi orkun,

Thankyou very much.....

Please let me know, why we should connect virtual hostnames for DB13...

Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi,  The answer is easy; when the database node is failed, the database will be transferred to the other node. From application server point of view, if you configured the failed physical node, db13 will not be work. So, if you setup virtual host name, application server will be able to access to the database host and continue to the work without any problem.  Best regards,  Orkun Gedik

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Imaan,

The Virtual Hostname here refers to the Servicguard packages in HP Cluster. The DB is installed on this Package. During failover, the entire package (the filesystem and services) is moved to another node and the database is up and running on that node.

1. System->status will always point to the Physical host(can be node1 0r node2) on which the database resides.
The Profile parameters like SAPDBHOST will always point to the Database Package name which remains same no matter what node the DB in running on.
a) Shutdown of Database can only be done on the physical host on which the Database is running. As per my experience, there is no need to give the Physical Hostname. Just "Stopsap DB" should be enough.
b) DB13 will run only on application server as for that matter any SAP program. It will then connect to database at OS level

2. I assume that QA and Dev Servers are not build on a HP Cluster (High Availability) thus there is no need for a virtual hostname.

Hope this helps.

-Renu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Renu,

The Virtual Hostname here refers to the Servicguard packages in HP Cluster. The DB is installed on this Package. During failover, the entire package (the filesystem and services) is moved to another node and the database is up and running on that node.

REPLY: could you prove me any link where i can read about Servicguard packages in HP Cluster; database package etc...

b) DB13 will run only on application server as for that matter any SAP program. It will then connect to database at OS level

Reply: Yes, this is right DB13 connect to database at OS level. but why don't it connect to Physical database instead of virtual...

Your response would B appreciated

Message was edited by: imaan shaikh