cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separating Oracle out to new Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a SAP PI 7.0 system with an Oracle 10.2 DB installed all on one server.

Is anyone able to confirm the process for separating out the DB to a new server (same architecture & Oracle version)?
I can't see this under the standard system copy process.

Many thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

As mentioned I raised a support call with SAP on this.
Unfortunately they didn't prove to be very helpful.

Not only did they not understand what I meant and tried to offer me some notes about database reorganisation, but they decided that I wasn't yet on 10.2.0.5.6 and therefore was not supported.

Never mind...

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Darryl

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Darryl,

as you mentioned you want to move the database to another server only, so the procedure is very simple regardless if you are using an ABAP or J2EE based system (or a dual stack).

I have done such migrations a few times and never used any SAP "standard" procedure tools (ABAP and J2EE based systems).

If you keep the same oracle client on your ABAP or J2EE system, you just need to adjust the DB connect string in the secure store (configtool for JAVA) or the tnsnames.ora entry for ABAP.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, you can do it.

You need to adapt SAP Profile parameters and SAP <sid>adm user environment variable to use the new machine where you'll move the DB.

For instance, you have to set:

SAPDBHOST = db_newhostname  

j2ee/dbhost = db_newhostname

Regards

Leo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Leopoldo,

I'm aware that it's possible to just change the parameters for the ABAP layer quite easily.

The more difficult part will be the J2EE stack and SAP PI.
But my question is really around best practice.  Is there any SAP documentation on this process, or is it just what people have constructed themselves in the past?

I've followed "word-of-mouth" processes before, and it's usually an iterative process and requires significant reassurance to the business, unless it's a SAP standard process.

Thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

maybe these notes may give you more info:

757692 - Changing the hostname for J2EE Engine 6.40/7.0 installation

8307 - Changing host name on R/3 host: What do you do?

If not, check SAP White Papers at https://service.sap.com/ha .

I cannot find any documentation regarding these specific activity.

I hope to have been useful the same

Regards

Leo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Looks like Homogenous System Copy is the best method for you.

1. It is fully supported by SAP

2. It support separation of instance

3. It handles Dual Stack very well

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Agus,

I have the Netweaver 7.0 System Copy for ABAP + Java SR3, guide.

The guide says that I can choose either Oracle (DB specific), R3load/Jload or SAPInst, to perform the source system export.

After the export, I must install the target system including CI and DB then load in the DB export and the Java config export (from Jload).

This makes sense if I want a copy of the existing SAP system to be installed on another host (moving the CI and DB).

However, my CI (ABAP + Java) is to remain on the same server it is currently installed on.

I only want to move the DB "instance".

So I'm assuming that I just use SAPinst to install the DB "instance" onto the new host, and then I'll need to go and adapt my existing system config.  But there's no SAP standard process.

I've found threads http://scn.sap.com/thread/1562655 and http://scn.sap.com/thread/779505 helpful.  The guy has the same issue as me and the answer was the same "All in all go though the homogenous system copy guide and then build your own concept".

Based on the notes and info that Leo has provided (thanks Leo), it looks to me like SAP have had a go at defining this process before, but they have not finished it off.

I've also raised a message with SAP for help on this.

As mentioned before, my main concern is that SAP have left it up to us to decide the process, which is flexible in a way.  But when I present the plan to the business, it would be better (and more professional) if I could say "SAP standard process" instead of "I made this all up myself but it's what everyone else is doing".

Thanks for your time on this, it's much appreciated.
I'll post back SAP's response if they get back to me.

Darryl

Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Darryl,  I have once did something like this but in CRM System which is also dual stack.   From my experience, you will be able to do homogenous copy of the database from source to target, then re-configure the CRM.   While ABAP System ia very straightforward, JAVA system is more conplex. Most cobfiguration are in configtool and VisualAdmin in service management area.   If you have plenty of time, I would really suggest sapinst method, because it helps a lot. But technically it is possible to be done without sapinst.   Hope this help.   Thank you