cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homogenous system copy - migtime

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are consider homogenous system copy (hardware upgrade). I try to use Migration Tools from SAP to estimate export procedure time. Executing export_time.sh script gives me error:
No package files (*.TOC/*.LOG) found.

Is there necessary to export data from database via R3load before MIGTIME tool was usable?. Trying to use Export Preparation option from sapinst, but unfortunately it doesn't produce any files with *.TOC or *.LOG extension.
SAP Guide for migration mentioned about migration test. How to prepare such migration step?

Best regards

Michal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Michal,

MIGTIME is a tool which reads the TOC files and the export/import log files and calculates the runtime of each object. This tool is pretty helpful when you are doing a prod system export/import. During the initial testruns , this tool will tell you which packages have run the most and this in turn will give you an idea how you can optimize the migration process. Depending on how you configure this tool to be run , it will also tell you what was the runtime of the biggest tables. This in turn tells you if you need to split the tables more or what steps you can take to optimize more. In the final run , all these inputs helps you to put the most optimized way to proceed with the export/import. You can read more about this tool by downloading the .SAR file and using SAPCAR to extract the contents. You will find a pdf document which highlights the benefits and tells you how to run it.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Surajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

So what kind of important data will be provided by migtime tool? When I export database I'll know how much time is needed for that process. For a what we need this tool?

I need to estimate approximately export time to check if "migration window time" is big enough.This may help us answer the question of choosing right export method (we consider as alternative exporting with socket method with paralell import  in target system)

Regards

Michal 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please check out note no Note 784118 - System Copy Java Tools.

Time Analyzer (MIGTIME)
Tool to analyze the runtimes of the Export/Import

• Calculates the runttime per package
  • Lists the long running objects within a package for further splitting
  • Creates a list with start- and end date or time per package

Generally this tool helps in optimizing after first trial of migration, we can figure out tie consuming packages, tables which can be further splitted in the second trial and in turn optimize the downtime.

Hope this might help you..

Thanks,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

export time analyzer will output the time taken to export per package. I have recently exported 1 TB Oracle which took about 5 hours to finish the export.

Socket method would be more beneficial if you wanna get rid off TSK files and eliminate the ftp copy after export to the target server.

Export time totally depends on the hardware of source system, db size, number of R3load processes and of course you have to shutdown the SAP before export.

Thanks

SM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srikanth,

Socket method is probably the fastest among all the advanced migration techniques, it also has a catch you must have real good network in order to use it.

I presume you have used the backup restore method for homogenous system copy which will not generate the .TOC and .LOG files.

In order to use you will have to use r3load method for system copy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Socket method is probably the fastest among all the advanced migration techniques,

If you haven't worked on Socket method please don't advise me that it is the fastest when compared with Dist or parallel. Each has its own benefits considering resources and db size.

So the question Michael asking was

So what kind of important data will be provided by migtime tool? When I export database I'll know how much time is needed for that process. For a what we need this tool?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srikanth,

If you are migration certified then you would know which one is faster.

The statement which i have stated is not mine its from the guide which SAP says.Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi  Michal,

Yes!!! Migtime (Time Analyzer)  is use to calculate the export / import time per package, which you will get after export / import.

Thanks,

Vishal