Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP : confirmation of receipt only for faxes, not for emails

Farid
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have been using SMTP services for years to send emails from our ECC6 landscape.

The emails flow is transfered from SAP SMTP node to the Mail host ; Lotus Domino server.

The confirmation of receipt is deactivated : "SAPconnect does not expect receipt confirmation for internet email",

which I think is the default configuration. This way the end-users are not bothered with notifcations of receipts.read notifications, etc ...

No problem until now.

We were using the RFC Interface to send faxes, but as SAP recommends, we intend to use the SMTP node to transfer faxes,

as indicated in the document here :

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/805ac131-f9b0-2d10-f49c-b81ba8509...

We are using a third party product KOFAX as third party product as a FAX Service Provider.

Basically both the email anf fax flows wre processed within one SMTP node, transfered to the email relay server, and from here, only the fax flow is redirected to KOFAX server, using DNS redirecting rules

We are able to process the faxes, our main problem is the "SAPconnect confirmation of receipts"

Kofax installation guide indicates that in order to enable delivery status notification the option

"SAPConnect expects receipt confirmation for Internet mail"

We first activated that option, but it had some serious side efffects on the existing email flow :

emails sent status remained grey in transaction sost, and some external emails where even lost.

Then we decided to switch back to "SAPConnect does not expect receipt

" and to add an exclusion rule for the fax DNS server. It is now better ; emails have the green status in transaction SOST,

faxes are processed, BUT, every time an email is sent by SAP, a notification of receipt and a notification of delivery is

sent to the sender mail box on Lotus.

We have been tryingover tha past week to deactivate those notifications without any result, we can't get rid of the notifications

when filling the exclusion rule.

I had a look at the following notes

Note 1607686 - Suppressing read notification requests (applied)

Note 564680 - Switching off status requests globally

Note 331265 - Internet mail delivery notification

Note 485372 - Confirmation of receipts not suppressed

SAP has developed a function module to determine if notifications are requested by SAP ; SX_INT_STATUS_CODE_REQUEST

As soon as a filter rule is configured, no matter what is configured, the function module indicates that a notification is expected form SAP.

Any of you have already faced similar issues ?

Ho to get rid of receipt/delivery notifications when activationg the exclusion rules in SCOT ?

Thank you very much for your attention

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you try to send fax and email separately?

We are having this configuration, delivery notification are turned off and the fax status is updated with rfc callback. We are using Topcall as fax solution though.

Cheers Michael

Farid
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for your answer Michael,

Actually we used Topcall , and in our case Kofax is intended to replace Topcall .

That is why the Faxsrv node (based on RFC) is deactivated in my screenshot below.

Correct me if I am wrong, according to your screenshot the fax flow is not handled by SMTP ?

Or do you use RFC only to return the fax status ?

If you compare with our SCOT configuration the SMTP node is used both for faxes and emails, and the same SMTP node appears in SCOT FAX and INT menus.

This is why it is so diffuclt to dissociate the status of delivery