Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage of CE data dictionary

arjun_thakur
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

In my project, we are implemeting a mass maintenance approval process using BPM. So, in the submit screen, we have a table of more than 150 fields and at one time the table can have around 100 rows. As the workflow progesses, we want to save this amount of data in the CE data dictionary table. Moreover, there could be around 100 concurrent users doing the mass maintenance. I want to know if it is recommanded to use CE data dictionary table here to hold the temp data? and, As the size of the dictionary table increases how much the performance of the application will degrade?

Any help will be appreciable.

Regards,

Arjun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

siarhei_pisarenka3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arjun

The ce dictionary table, if I understand you right, is physically stored as simple table in the database. When you deploy your dictionary project on java server it will create the database table out of your dictionary table, which is nothing but xml definition (metadata) of the table.

So basically the question of performance depends on which database you are using and how much it's loaded on your application server. But I really do not think that 150 columns and 100 rows is a big number for a database. Do not think it will affect on a performance.

Another question is UI. If you build UI as Webdynpro table it can be slow in a browser due to such a big number of columns.

Siarhei.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
data dictionary is only to create db table, nothing to do with the performance.
the performance depend on your programming skills
former_member185086
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

CE Data Dictonary can effectively use in the CAF project or small DB operations, but as you said that its a mass upload with concurrent user in this case it will not a best choice to use CE DD as temporary data storage.

Best Regards
Satish Kumar Jhariya

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

why you have this conclusion?

do you have any substantial stuff to support your conclusion?

former_member185086
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

My conclusion is based on the use case which is stated on the question.

CE DD store all the data in portal database, and performing such operation on it will slow down not only application but whole portal.

Best Regards

Satish Kumar Jhariya

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Using the same conclusion you may not store heavy data in ABAP, as the operations on the data may impact the performance of the whole ERP system.

With CE, what you actually do is read / write data to / out of the DB. In a normal use case a single user is only reading some data, nothing that a DB system should not be able to handle. When it comes to really heavy usage (like: write millions of entries): that's the task of the DB to handle gracefully. For the NW Java part: what gets to handle the load is the CI (db handling, locks) and the server node where the user is working on. But that load of data normally is done via batch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arjun

Read this and see if it helps you .

If with CE data dictionary table you refer to an Abap table, I very much

doubt if this will affect performance. However please note that  when

web applications are concerned, communication between server and

backend heavily influences performance. The general recommendation

therefore is to limit the amount of data being transferred, where possible.

regards

yuval peery

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If with CE data dictionary table you refer to an Abap table

Never heard that a CE DDT can be an ABAP table. To me, it's always the "Java" database where the tables are created.