cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a SAP ECC 6.0 ABAP stack system (EHP5 FOR SAP ERP 6.0 / NW7.02).

We would like to install SAP PI in ECC server. I had few query for installing PI system.

- Do we need ASJAVA system or Is it possible to activated PI (within ABAP system) without installing ASJAVA system?

- Is it possible to install PI system directly on ECC ABAP application server?

Any helpful information will be very appreciated!

br,

Sulabh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sulabh

AS Java is a must for PI installation.

DO NOT install PI on ECC Server.

Regards

Monika

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you, for your valuable guidelines and information.

Cheers,

Sulabh

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Few cents. In addition to above replies,  PI latest versions 7.3 can work with just java stack alone for message processing. PI uses Java stack which contain major component is Advanced adapter engine where all the adapters are deployed as service modules. Adapter engine is another core component for middleware. The purpose of adapters is to convert the sender system message format to the PI SOAP format on the sender side. Similarly , the PI message format is converted to the appropriate target system's format after message processing on the receiver side. So, Java stack is must for installing PI for both single stack installation as well dual stack installation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your valuable information. Again, I had few query regarding PI installation:

• Can PI be installed together with Java system on a separate server?

Or

• Is this possible to install a separate ABAP+Java server for PI and add portal in there?

Cheers,

Sulabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's quite usual to install ABAP stack and Java stack on the same machine. That shouldn't cause any trouble.

As already mentioned I would not recommend to install another usage type as PI on a server. This maximes the complexity. But it shold be possible, yes.

Regards,

Phillip

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>Can PI be installed together with Java system on a separate server?

What is java system something other than PI. Example JBOSS server or Websphere app server?  Though it is possible,  I would recommend to install PI alone on a seperate server.

> Is this possible to install a separate ABAP+Java server for PI and add portal in there?

That is possible. Again how your BASIS team decides on number of processors, memory and disk capacity in a box.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sulabh,

Are you talking about customer implementation point of view or you want install on your personal lap top.

1)Striclty not adviceble to use ECC ABAP stack .when you install PI system it self has a JAVA Stack and ABAP Stack.

2)You can install  ECC/PI on same box(same OS).

Best regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sulabh,

in addition to what Iñaki already wrote I think you should consider some things before installing PI:

How many systems/ applications are you planning to integrate or what's the general use case for the PI?

This is import as the PI needs to be sized properly. Therefore it's strongly recommended to have a dedicated box for the system. Additionaly from an architectural view the system is a central component in your landscape and therefore it should be made as sure as possible, that it is stable and not influenced by problems in other systems.

Another point is upgrading and versions: current PI version is 7.3, previous version was 7.11. As you can see this differs from your ECC version. And PI should always be the most up-to-date system in your landscape.

What kind of systems are mainly going to integrate? Do you need a dual-stack installation or will a Java-only installation do the work? (as mentioned already an ABAP-only installation option doesn't exist).

You can find some usefull decision making factors here: http://scn.sap.com/community/pi-and-soa-middleware/blog/2012/01/11/installation-options-for-process-...

hth.

regards,

Phillip

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sulabh Bartaula,

- Do we need ASJAVA system or Is it possible to activated PI (within ABAP system) without installing ASJAVA system?

SAP PI Adapter technology runs in JAVA stack. You must install this part.

Is it possible to install PI system directly on ECC ABAP application server?

I dont know exactly if it is possible, but i dont recommend you this possibility. SAP PI will take a lot of machine recurses and you could have the ECC down. Please make the installation in different machine.

Regards.