cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between relative and absolute horizon?

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In the Selection Profile, you have the option of setting an absolute or relative horizon (Time Related Selection Attributes).  As far as I can tell, absolute prevents any rounding, but relative allows rounding to a date.

Is there any other impact by using absolute beyond that?

Thanks, Mike

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mvunsharma
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

Demand Horizon is used to select transportation requirements for planning based on dates.

Absolute:

The dates are fixed. For example, you want to plan for transportation requirements between May 01, 2012 to May 15, 2012. You specify Start Date = 05-01-2012 and End Date = 05-15-2012.

This little cumbersome in production environments as we have to change/check the dates before every planning run. I guess customer use this setting very rarely.

Relative:

As the name suggests, the selection is relative to the current date. For example, you always plan on every Monday for next three weeks. You will do the following settings:

Offset = 7 days

Duration = 21 days

So,

Start date for planning = Current date + 7 days

End date for planning = Current date + 7 days + 21 days

This is more likely to be used, because the dates roll by themselves. So, on 04 -23-2012,

Start Date = 04-30-2012

End Date = 05-20-2012

Again on 04-30-2012, you need not change the settings and new start and end date will be

Start Date = 05-07-2012

End Date = 05-27-2012

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Nagesh

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nagesh,

Good to see you posting in TM.  Thanks for the detailed explanation.  I now understand why all the exercises and scenarios leave it set to Relative Horizon. 

Regards, Mike

Answers (0)