Why MOD has a incorrect result?

We can see:

yyy = ( '608.9200' * ( 10 **2 ) ) mod 1

I don't understand why the result is '1'.

• SAP Moderator
  • SAP Employee

Hi Tom,

I tried using this code:

yyy = '608.9200' * ( 10 ** 2 ).  WRITE yyy.

yyy = yyy MOD 1. WRITE / yyy.

yyy = ( '608.9200' * ( 10 ** 2 ) ) MOD 1. WRITE / yyy.

And the result is this:

It sure is odd; when you perform the operation step by step, it will yield the correct result but if chained, it got some weird results. The remainder can't be 1 for MOD 1.

The cause might be on the calculation type if you look closely at the documentation:

Determining the Calculation Type

The calculation type corresponds to one of the numeric data types i, p, f, or decfloat34. It is determined according to the following hierarchy, and in this order of priority:

1. If one of the data types involved is decfloat16 or decfloat34, the calculation type is decfloat34.
  2. If one of the data types involved is f or if the operator ** is used, the calculation type is f
  3. If one of the data types involved is p, the calculation type is p.
  4. If one of the data types involved is i, (b or s), the calculation type is i.

Now, the calculation type used in the operation is F, but we need to store it in a P variable. The value of F will be rounded up to the number of decimal places you have in your P variable. Given this and Matthew's reply above regarding the F values, we will arrive to those weird values in question.

Hope this helps!

0 View this answer in context