Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Operators in Validation/Substitution

soubhagya_rout
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there any other operators one can use apart from the operators shown in the screen of validation or substitution. Like I want to use a validation where the prerequisite is Proj Def. = ' X ' and MAX ( WBS Level ). Please let me know whether we can use these operators like SUM, MAX, MIN etc.

Thanks in Advance,

Soubhagya

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What do you want to achieve Soubhagya? Do you want to restrict the creation of WBSE beyond the predefined level?

Unless your requirement is clear, it's difficult to help you out.

soubhagya_rout
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Amaresh,

I just wanted to know whether such type of operators are allowed in validation or not. If it is possible then restriction of user will be lot easier.

By the way, my requirement is, I want the last level element to be account assigned.

Thanks,

Soubhagya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your question is not clear. wanted to restrict the creation of levels or restriction of user???. I would suggest please try to make it easy to understand your requirement so that you will get proper response from your friends also.

You can use validation functionality to give an error whenever user goes beyond speicified level of WBS elements.

Use the substitution rule to default Account Assignment parameter on last level.

Our friends already suggested what do and hope that make sense.

Regards,

Sudhakar

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Soubhagya Rout wrote:

Hi Amaresh,

I just wanted to know whether such type of operators are allowed in validation or not. If it is possible then restriction of user will be lot easier.

Well you can only use the operators that are allowed by SAP. No additional operators (which are not defined by the SAP) are allowed.

Soubhagya Rout wrote:

By the way, my requirement is, I want the last level element to be account assigned.

Thanks,

Soubhagya

I presume that your project structure is breezed and your project coding mask is finalized. In that case you can maintain validation to ensure only your last level WBS element is account assigned and other are not.

System will not understand which one is your last level WBS element. You have configure to it (coding mask). You define the the standard project in the system, which can be used by the business to create new projects & it'll ensure that project structure is in tact.

I hope this helps you.

soubhagya_rout
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

My coding mask is DI/ABCD-0001-XXX-0001

The bold part of the coding mask is my project definition and My 1st WBS level is equal to Project Definition (through validation). The problem is when I'm going to create 2nd level WBS, system automatically picks 2nd level as DI/ABCD-0001-X as XXX is alphanumeric and user generally does not change that to DI/ABCD-0001-XXX.

When going for the 3rd level system picks WBS element as DI/ABCD-0001-XX but as per coding mask the 2nd level should be DI/ABCD-0001-XXX and 3rd level should be DI/ABCD-0001-XXX-0001.

So I can not control over user's WBS creation and the reason why I want to use maximum level to be account assigned.

But by the meantime, I've gone through the help file, there it is mentioned you can use operators like SUM, MAX, MIN etc. But I've not gone through that in detail. So I presume that it may be possible.

Thanks,

Soubhagya

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Soubhagya Rout wrote:

My coding mask is DI/ABCD-0001-XXX-0001

The bold part of the coding mask is my project definition and My 1st WBS level is equal to Project Definition (through validation). The problem is when I'm going to create 2nd level WBS, system automatically picks 2nd level as DI/ABCD-0001-X as XXX is alphanumeric and user generally does not change that to DI/ABCD-0001-XXX.

System is behaving the way you have configured it. It's absolutely right.

In your coding mask X an alpha-numeric while 0 means numeric only. In the second level whatever (numeric or alphabet) you enter, system treats it as a character.

But why your user is creating all the projects from the scratch? Don't you have maintained master data (standard project/ network) for PS in your system? If they are creating projects using master data, then this problem should not arise.

To get rid of this issue, You may try maintaining validation for 2nd level or else change it "000" instead of "XXX". But be careful, in case if you already created projects with this code, system will not allow you to change your coding mask. Either you have to archive the projects or else delete them.

The other way could be, lock this coding mask & create new coding mask and use it for future projects.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can use greater than (>) or less than(<) sign for the same.

Regards,

Mahendra

soubhagya_rout
Participant
0 Kudos

No it will not solve my problem. I've to use the max of a field value. If you have any idea, please tell me how can I use MAX, MIN operator in validation.

Thanks,

Soubhagya