Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistency in coding mask

soubhagya_rout
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is a little consistency required in the WBS coding mask here. Let's say the coding mask is AB/XXXX-0000-XXX-0000.

The project definition is AB/PQRS-0001. Here the 1st level WBS element is also AB/PQRS-0001. Then when I'm going to create 2nd level WBS by drag & drop method, the system automatically creates WBS as AB/PQRS-0001-1 rather than AB/PQRS-0001-001 as the last part is alphanumeric. So is there any possibility that system will throw error if you do not enter 3 characters in the last mentioned level.

Thanks,

Soubhagya

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

System returns only single char in -XXX= -1, system would not know what would the next set of char be and would require a manual input.

However if you try to save the Project with -1, it would not issue any error message.

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Soubhagya Rout wrote:

There is a little consistency required in the WBS coding mask here. Let's say the coding mask is AB/XXXX-0000-XXX-0000.

The project definition is AB/PQRS-0001. Here the 1st level WBS element is also AB/PQRS-0001. Then when I'm going to create 2nd level WBS by drag & drop method, the system automatically creates WBS as AB/PQRS-0001-1 rather than AB/PQRS-0001-001 as the last part is alphanumeric. So is there any possibility that system will throw error if you do not enter 3 characters in the last mentioned level.

Hi,

I have already explained this in one of your threads yesterday.

In your coding mask X an alpha-numeric while 0 means numeric only. In the second level whatever (numeric or alphabet) you enter, system treats it as a character. Anything you enter for 2nd level WBS coding will be treated as character by the system.

Try using validation, to overcome this.