cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generating High Volume Flat Files for SAP HANA Project?

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Guys:

I am getting ready to request the host system owners sales and forecast flat files for last 3 years to load into SAP HANA. I plan to create loader scripts to load flat files on an on-going basis. The source system is running on an Oracle database.

Which is the best way to request the files for initial load (last 3 years) and then on-going loads?

Option #1: I get the physical data and then triage it in excel to create an insert syntax for HANA loader and repeat steps every month for new files? this is too laborous.

Option # 2: Should the host system owners / DBA generate flat files with insert statement - I can provide a sample record for the DBA to generate data with insert statement using some DB script like I did so far  for POC?

Option #3: Is there any 3rd party tool that is available to generate flat files with insert statements?

Side question: which is the best editor to review hight volume flat files? I presently use notepad and/or excel to review high volume flat files.

Please share your experiences with generating high volumne flat files to be loaded into  SAP HANA.

Thanks,

Rama

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rama Shankar,

If i understood correctly, your requirement is to get data from Oracle system and load it into SAP.

If you have SAP Business Objects Data Services, this will be a easirer job and you can automate the process. It will read the Source tables and inserts the data into SAP HANA.

Or

using SAP LT also you can do that. (We didn't tried this option)

Naresh

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Naresh:

Yes, you understodd my scenario correctly. We are going to load Oracle data into SAP HANA directly.

The client does not want to use BODS (aka data services) since it requires additional project funding for BODS infrastructure. Note: we need BO landscape for BODS solution to work.

Same with SLT, we are trying not to use SLT due to budget constraints. Long-term, we will be hooking up SAP ECC to SAP HANA using SLT.

Any thoughts / tips on flat file generation?

Thanks,

Rama

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How about generating a CSV file and using the control file to load the data to HANA. That would be easier.

Second option would be asking the DBA to generate the insert statements. But considering the high data volume the insert script file will be very large.

Also I'd suggest using notepad / textpad for viewing / editing the insert scripts and not excel.

Ravi

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravi:

I forgot that we can do option #1 above in SAP HANA. This will work since they already are creating  the .CSV files for other systems.

Thanks,

Rama

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good that you found the answer. But can you make your own replies as "Correct answer" 🙂

Regards,

Ravi

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi:

It was your answer that was correct.

Sorry, I thought the correct answer click will go to your your response. It was not intentional. The new interface is confusing.

Thanks.

Rama

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Guys:

Read this blog on SAP HANA Information Composer V 1.0 - External Data Upload

- http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-26727#comment-300904

This is the kind of solution I was looking for where we do not have mess with loader scripts. I have not tried this out. Will try this and share my thoughts. Please do the same if you do.

Thanks,

Rama

former_member213376
Participant
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (0)