cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CUP Vs Netweaver IDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts ,

Recently I was attending a customer call and a question came up as to what are the advantages of CUP over NW Idm and vice versa  and in what cases each of the tool should be implemented ? Both being provisioning tool , I didn't have much to answer . If there is any documentation available / links to forum thread , I would like to know ..any experiences to share .. Is it true that CUP will be gone in near future  as IDM is perceived  more powerful 

Reg,

Anthony

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

achristian17
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anthony,

You may use both the system in place to address most demanding client's requirement. There are 2 clear use cases to cover usage of IDM and CUP together. I've explained below to address your question.

SAP recommends to use IDM as lead system and CUP used as secondary or vice versa. By this means requestor User Interface decides which system is initiator of provisioning.

IDM advantage:   Provisioning is possible to non-SAP system where as CUP could send mails only eg. EMAIL system, Network.

If you create SAP HR as a lead system and any employee is created in HR system this can be used to create user id in Network(LDAP like AD) and provisioning to SAP can leveraged with combination of Risk Analysis using CUP. Above all when provisioning started from IDM it's more in a way to go with Business Roles provisioning rather individual technical roles which simplifies provisioning as a group to a specific user/job/role.

At the same time if you plan for only IDM you may not able to do Risk Analysis.

Hope this would be helpful to you as a complimentary information to the previous answers.

Rgds,

Asok Christian

amit_bajaj
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Anthony,

just to add a few more

In IDM is is very easy to customize UI.

it has connectors available for following and many other non-SAP systems which CUP dont have.

SAP Human Capital Management

SAP ERP Financials

SAP Transportation Management

SAP Extended Warehouse Management

SAP Supply Network Collaboration

SAP Service Parts Planning

SAP Product Lifecycle Management

SAP Portfolio and Project Management

SAP Customer Relationship Management

SAP Supplier Relationship Management

SAP NetWeaver Master Data Management

e.g. you can not create a business parteners in CRM, SRM using CUP but you can do so using IDM.

IDM usng agents can capture the changes in target system. this is not available with CUP.

VDS is a key component of IDM whcih allows IDM to integrate with many LDAP and WS based systems.

IDM provide standard SPML interface for provisioning but CUP provide WS based.

etc

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anthony,

With SAP IDM you can centrally manage the users of all the SAP and connected Non-SAP Systems. Its a total Enterprise User Management solution. There are some functionalities that can be done in either IDM or GRC. Workflow is one of them, you can create custom workflows in IDM and use them. You can intergrade IDM with GRC CUP and share the workflow functionalities or actions.

GRC CUP comes with many features on workflows and many functionalities pre-delivered. Its easy to configure and use compared to IDM. GRC CUP has tight intergration with other RAR, SPM & ERM. You can integrade IDM with RAR too.

The choice depends on the need of the customer. If the customer already has IDM or IDM is a must and want to use just simple workflows, he can go for IDM. If the customer want to be SOX Compliant then he may choose GRC Suite with RAR and others.

On other features, If have IDM I would like to use it for HR Triggers instead of GRC CUP.

Thus each product has its own advantages.

On the question CUP going away. I can not definitely say but looking at the SAPs current strategies I dont see it.

Hope this will help !!

Regards,

Ajesh.