Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Dynpro ABAP in Eclipse Survey

former_member186016
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We, from development team in SAP are currently evaluating Web Dynpro ABAP application development environment in eclipse. Please check the blog for details and participate in the survey mentioned in the blog : http://scn.sap.com/community/web-dynpro-abap/blog/2012/04/09/web-dynpro-abap-tools-in-eclipse

Regards, Ashwani Kr Sharma

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

In my opinion there is a problem with asking this question in a public survey at this point.  The vast majority of those being surveyed don't yet have access to ABAP Development Tools (IE ABAP in Eclipse).  The real value comes not from porting WDA tools to Eclipse for many of the items you identified in your survey, but instead for the full integration with the rest of the ABAP Tools which have already been ported to Eclipse (Classes, Programs, Function Modules, BO, HANA Tools).

I think you are also missing some key questions around asking people how often they are using FPM and GUIBBs.  With an increased usage of FPM, the web dynpro component/view editor becomes less used.  Instead developers spend their time creating feeder classes and working in the FLUID configuration tool. To me that aspect also must be considered when discussing any planned migration to Eclipse.

former_member186016
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

AIE might be available for users this year. Hence, we are evaluating, adding it with Web Dynpro ABAP Tools in eclipse in next release. We had few doubts similar to what you mentioned about how many people are using the Web Dynpro ABAP tools and esp when FPM is there. Hence, we started this survey,

Though late, I have added one more questions w.r.t FPM vs Web Dynpro ABAP tools usage in the survey.

FPM and GUIBBs tools are themselves quite rich, hence we are thinking of getting them integrated in eclipse as native editors (web based) rather then creating them again.

Your feedback as comments to the blog will be very valuble. Please put your comments there as well.

Thanks and Regards,

Ashwani Kr Sharma