cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to reinstall maxdb 7.7 Independant path

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We run our sap environment on a Linux cluster with about 20 SAP instances all running on Maxdb 7.7.7.39 ( with the exception of a couple of content servers and test portals running 7.6.6.19 ) All use the same Independent Path /sapdb/programs

Over a week ago we tried to install Solman 7.1 SR1 - which uses Maxdb 7.8. After reading all the notes and being reasonably comfortable it was okay I started the install using sapinst.

At the install step  of the Maxdb it failed with the following error

ERROR 2012-03-29 09:53:14.356 [sixxcstepexecute.cpp:937]

FCO-00011 The step installClientSoftware with step key

|NW_Doublestack_DB|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|NW_DBClient|ind|ind|ind|ind|dbclient|0|NW_ADA_DBClient|ind|ind|ind|ind|4|0|Sdb_ClientSoftware_Dialogs|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|Sdb_ClientSoftware|ind|ind|ind|ind|auto.id:1|0|installClientSoftware was executed with status ERROR ( Last error reported by

the step: The database installer reported an error. DIAGNOSIS: Some

database applications might still be running. SOLUTION: Check the log

file sdbinst.log

Which apparently relates to /etc/opt/sdb being in a read only file system- fine.

The problem now is that it has appeared to delete most of the programs under /sapdb/programs/

I should point out that our Production instances that share the SAME cluster have stayed up and running throughout

On Sunday night we had another issue relating to the database(s) and I needed to restart a particular system - in order for this to happen I had to recover the directory /sapdb/programs/bin from a backup as the programs were missing -

Now when I try and run some of the Utility programs I get the following errors ( amongst others )

uan107:/sapdb/programs/bin # ./x_server status

Can't exec program </bin/cpc> : No such file or directory
uan107:/sapdb/programs/bin #

uan107:/sapdb/programs/bin # ./sdbverify

MaxDB Installer Runtime Error:

perl compilation error (loading SAPDB::Install::InstallRegistry::Verify):

Can't locate SAPDB/Install/Collector.pm in /sapdb/programs/bin/../install/SDBINST.TGZ (/sapdb/programs/bin/../install/SDBINST.TGZ contains: /sapdb/programs/bin/../install/SDBINST.TGZ) at SAPDB/Install/InstallRegistry/Verify.pm line 14

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at SAPDB/Install/InstallRegistry/Verify.pm line 14.

As well as errors (DBMRFCSystemError) when I try and connect via db50

I have just about given up on the Maxdb 7.8 Solman 7.1 sr1 - I would like to get the environment back to a stable situation and I believe my options are as follows:

1) Just restore everything under /sapdb/programs from a backup - But I am not sure about what other dependencies may exist , or what else could be missing , or what other damage could have been done ?

2) Try and patch ( or install another system) one of the older 7.6.6.19 instances up to 7.7.7.39 in the hope that it will fix/reinstall the systems integrity along the way ?

3) Continue with the Solman71 Maxdb 78

I have logged a call with SAP Support about 10 days ago but have heard very little even after chasing them up ( which is infuriating ).

I look forward to your suggestions/help as I have run out of time , please let me know if you need any logs and I will happily post them

Thanks in advance

Gary Vaughan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I evently figured it out , then SAP came back and told me that I had part of a 7.8 system and part of 7.7 system installed - no big issue as everything was now working .

As a side line in the end I tried to upgrade another instance on the cluster from 7.6 to 7.7 ( with the hope it would fix any issues along the way ) then to 7.8

When I tried to upgrade / patch to from 7.6 to 7.7 ( following the SAP guides/notes as these are SAP instances ) they were failing with the following error

"This package is a compat dummy of an isolated installation. Please use MaxDB installer >= 7.8 to manage those packages."

The only way around this was to use the GUI tool (SDBSETUP?) and not the command line SBDUPD, every time I tried the command line it would just crash out with the above message , but the GUi tool would display the message then keep going ?

And then going to 7.8 I could not use the DBUPDATE.SH as it kept comlaining about the instance  - If I had it offline it would complain about that, so I would start it and then it would complain about that - so in the end I ran the SBDUPD ( command line ) directly and it worked like a charm.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I seemed to have solved most my issues by checking & restoring everything under /sapdb/programs with the old (7.7) version.

the only issue now relates to the x_server , I am still getting the follwoing

uan107:/sapdb/programs/bin # ./x_server status

Can't exec program </bin/cpc> : No such file or directory

Thanks

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Gary,

cpc is part of the database installation as well, dependent on the version of the software you installed/registered.

You have SAP message which already had this issue.

In urgent cases, please increase the priority of the message.

Regards, Natalia Khlopina