cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineering BOM to Production BOM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Team,

My client's requirement is what ever the changes he does in Eng BOM should move to Production BOM. When I finding the way for the same, I read threads and wikis stating that GSS with EHP5 can do this. I have few doubts on the same,

1) I saw in one of the wiki with screen shots that product structures are converted in to E bom and then to P bom. Is this is the only way or can we convert any E bom to P bom any time with any changes?

2) When i saw screen shots it was like a web based tool, is there any separate installation or configs to be done for the same? Please let me know?

3) Is GSS separate application which can be downloaded and used directly from market space?

regards,

Satish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ulf_petzel
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

See below answers to your questions. Yes, definitely GSS should be the perfect match for your requirement, unless you want to update both Engineering BOM and Production BOM at the same time with one and the same engineering change number.

1) I saw in one of the wiki with screen shots that product structures are converted in to E bom and then to P bom. Is this is the only way or can we convert any E bom to P bom any time with any changes?

No. Typically (engineering) product structure is converted to production BOM directly. Not sure if your client actually has the requirement to use engineering product structure in the first place, or if he already used engineering BOM.

2) When i saw screen shots it was like a web based tool, is there any separate installation or configs to be done for the same? Please let me know?

GSS is part of the SAP PLM Web UI, hence of SAP ERP EhP5. Dedicated Business Functions must be activated, and GSS also has a license cost associated, price list item is SAP Product Structure Synchronization. We also have a related Rapid Deployment Solution for engineering BOM to manufacturing BOM use case. See here:

3) Is GSS separate application which can be downloaded and used directly from market space?

No. See above.

Regards,

Ulf.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Ulf,

It was really a great help and good clarifications from your end.

My client is using only Engineering BOM, not any structures. We are not using any web based PLM.

1) In such case GSS cant be implemented right am i correct?

2) To implement Guided Structure Synchronization and use the BOM synchronization option,  we need to use web based PLM and buy the license am i correct?

ulf_petzel
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks.

1) In such case GSS cant be implemented right am i correct?

2) To implement Guided Structure Synchronization and use the BOM synchronization option,  we need to use web based PLM and buy the license am i correct?

For sure your client can use GSS for material BOM type engineering to material BOM type production (or other type) guided transition of engineering changes. He would need to deploy the SAP PLM Web UI though, meaning have EhP5 and activate related business functions, and license SAP Product Structure Synchronization.

For sure he can also take an approach to use a single Change Master or ECR/ECO for managing both engineering and production BOM in one process, in SAP GUI. Even with different valid from dates, using alternative dates.

Regards, Ulf.

Answers (0)