cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remaining Work and Progress Analysis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I need some help regarding the field "remaining work" (or forecast work) of network activities.

1) When creating a new network activity with planned work i.e. 20 hrs, the value of the field "remaining work" is 0.

2) So, the results of progress analysis (CNE1, CNE5) using the measurement method "degree of completion" based on remaining work are not correct (weighting of the new activity is 0 since the value for remaining work is 0).

3) The only possibility I found to solve this problem: Adding a confirmation with "working hours" 0 after each creation of a new activity. By doing so, the value of the field planned work is copied to remaining work (difference between actual work and planned work) and progress analysis works fine.

My question is now, if there is any possibility to copy the value of the field planned work to the field remaining work when creating a new network activity. SAP help says, that the field remaining work could be maintained manually (without adding a confirmation), but I haven't found the way to do so yet.

Sorry for my english, I hope you can understand what I'm trying to ask Basically, progress analysis just works fine after adding at least one confirmation to each network activity.

Thank you in advance!

Alex

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nobody an idea how to maintain the field "remaining work/forecast work" without adding a confirmation? (i.e. via CJ20N...)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Initially remaining work value is equals to the planned work on activity. however this value keeps changing from time to time as confirmations are posted (actual hours). To see the remaining hours does not required to confirm with "0" hours. Check the value at table level.

Try once again.

Regards,

Sudhakar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks for your reply!

I've checked things again: After creating a new network activity, the forecast work/remaining work is 0. Even the values at table level are 0.

CJ20N:

SE16N

Since you said that this behaviour is not usual, is there anything what I can try to customize to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

As per SAP note 207790

• Forecast work
    with confirmation: Forecast work: Actual work + remaining work
    if still no confirmation was entered: Forecast work = 0.

The info you got in SAP help about maintaining remaining work is right but not without confirmation. What it means is if total work is 100 and you confirm 30, system will automatically calculate forecast work as 70. SAP help means - You can change this forecast work to 75 during confirmation.

Hope this clarifies your doubt

Regards

Shrikant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shrikant,

thank you for your help!

Calculation of forecast work / remaining work is now clear, but my actual problem is the behaviour which is described in SAP-Note 207790 - especially the line you have quoted.

SAP-Note 207790

if still no confirmation was entered: Forecast work = 0.

Since I use the forecast work for "Percentage of Completion weighting" for progress analysis (see the image below), the results are wrong until I've added at least one confirmation to each network activity (by doing this, forecast work is calculated as described in SAP-Note 207790).

What I need is a solution, which ensures, that the intitial value for forecast work (before first confirmation) is equal to the planned work.

Hope you can understand my issue

Thanks & Regards,

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

In my opinion, system behavior is correct as per the configuration. Further I feel that if forecast work is used as POC weight, it will mean that the activities with maximum forecast work will govern the aggregate POC for project. Is this you requirement?

Generally POC weight of cost plan is recommended, you can try work(basic) optionally. Further measurement methods of cost plan and degree of processing are recommended for internal activity.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Shrikant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shrikant,

it will mean that the activities with maximum forecast work will govern the aggregate POC for project

this is what I need. All projects only consists of internal activities and the progress analysis is just for internal controlling. So I like to see the actual progress of a project, even if forecast work is much higher than planned work.

Since this is not possible, I will have to change the poc weighting to work (planned) - which means, that poc is generally too high if any activity needs more work than planned.

Thanks however!

Regards

Alex