cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCOD on Oracle - questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP gurus,

I have this request to try to use MCOD in our SAP Landscape in oder to consolidate 2 SAP systems in one Oracle Database and I came up with several questions:

1. Landscape.

Our SAP landscape is composed of a SAP Solution Manager, SAP PIs and SAP ECCs (all ABAP-Java) and SAP Portals (Java). I have read on the following link that the recommendation is not mixing development and production systems or OLAT/OLTP systems, so my first idea would be cosolidating for example ECC dev with Portal dev and XI qas with ECC qas. Does this makes sense?

2. Procedure

If we decide to use the same Oracle database for ECC dev and Portal dev. How could we consolidate both Oracle databases in one?Please let me know if the following suggestion makes sense?

-We have ECC dev with SID "ECC" with DBSID "ECC" and schema-ID "SR3"

-Install a new SAP Portal System from scratch on the ECC dev Oracle DB (DBSID =ECC) but with a different schema "PTL".

-Perform a homogeneous copy from Portal dev system into the new installed empty Portal system which is located in DBSID "ECC" Oracle DB.

Is there an easier way to perform the consolidation of 2 SAP systems? I did not find either a specific part on the installation guide to install a SAP System using MCOD.

Has anyone experience with MCOD?

Any suggestion is very appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Marc

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Marc

What are the goals you want to achieve with MCOD?

In my opinion MCOD with SAP only makes sense for small systems (like a portal), but not for large schemas from ECC systems.

Answ to 1.

You got it right, do not mix different things. I would not mix PI with ECC, as PI usually already comes as MCOD installation (dual stack). I would combine the DEV portal with the QAS portal for example but not much more.

Answ to 2.

The procedure is simpler, you do a homogenous system copy with sapinst (r3load based). Sapinst will install the SAP system on the target system if you want to move the SAP instance as well. The installation part is just the same with MCOD, you simply select the existing database and you will be asked for a non existing schema name like sap<sid>.

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for your answer Michael!

>What are the goals you want to achieve with MCOD?

Frankly, the main goal is reducing complexity as well as DB license costs.

>Answ to 1.

>You got it right, do not mix different things. I would not mix PI with ECC, as PI usually already comes as >MCOD installation (dual stack).

All our SAP systems except from Portal (ECC, PI and Solman) are dual stack. Is it not possible to use MCOD between a dual stack system (PI or ECC) and a single stack system (Portal)?

>I would combine the DEV portal with the QAS portal for example but not much more.

Unfortunately, we are not using QAS portal in our landscape, we only have DEV portal and PRD portal.

>Answ to 2.

>The procedure is simpler, you do a homogenous system copy with sapinst (r3load based). Sapinst will >install the SAP system on the target system if you want to move the SAP instance as well. The installation >part is just the same with MCOD, you simply select the existing database and you will be asked for a non >existing schema name like sap<sid>.

I understand that I will need to run a homogeneous system copy with sapinst directly on the target system (DB with a DB-schema) but how will I transfer the source SAP system (DB with the new DB-schema)?do I need to perform any kind of export process from the source system to be used on the homogeneous copy on the target system?

Regards, Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

do I need to perform any kind of export process from the source system

Absolutely, of course you have to do the export (with sapinst as well). The good thing in your case is that you can keep the original system, if things go wrong.

You will not reduce complexity very much with MCOD. You can reduce a few databases but you add more dependencies (like you cannot restore one system alone anymore, but all systems within a database).

Reducing licensing fees is a valid reason, just make sure you really save money, because DB licenses are not based on the number databases in most cases. And if license costs are an issue, then you should NOT run your SAP systems with Oracle in the first place

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again for the valuable info!

1.-When you say...

I would not mix PI with ECC, as PI usually already comes as MCOD installation (dual stack).

All our SAP systems except from Portal (ECC, PI and Solman) are dual stack. Is it possible to use MCOD between a dual stack system (PI or ECC) and a single stack system (Portal)?

2.-I could not find a proper document about how to perform a MCOD installation. The installation guides have a section but it does not explain "how" to do it. Do you know where I can find a kind of MCOD installation guide?

Thanks again you are being really helpful.

Regards, Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Yes, theoretically you can have two more dual stacks (4-way MCOD) or add the portal to a PI database. From database perspective a SAP system is just another database user. You can have 27 different sap systems withing one database if you want to.

2. Well there is not really much special about it. You simply specify an existing database during sapinst. All current sapinsts will ask if you want to

- drop the exisiting schema -> D'ONT do that

- create another schema for the installation -> This is what you need

Cheers Michael

PS: if you don't have much testing possibility, then it might be a good thing to look around for people with experience in the field. Proper planning of such migrations can be quite complex .

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will definitely prepare a testing scenario to plan such migration but I wanted to check first.

thanks again, Marc

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

and for sure as hell, you will like to spent some training on tablespace point in time recovery.

Just in case someone shredders the portal and you will like to restore only portal without screwing back time for  financials and HR !

Volker

Answers (0)