cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Servers Virtulization (exsiting servers)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need to perform server virtulization (In our organization already running dev and qaulity & solman servers to move virtulize).

If any one has worked on this can you please share your experiences.

If i also request if any one having the documenst & prerequistes & Precaution inputs (Basis point of View) for the same please share .

Database:Mssql server 2005

ECC 6.0 EHP4

Thanks in Advance

Thanks

SAP BASIS

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SapBasis

No issues will be encountered by visualizing the existing system. But that you have to plan. The virtual infrastructure should be able to handle the workload current physical servers do.

The conversion can be done though P2V migration or a system copy. But any method you have to confirm the connectivity between system and the system with outside.

try to follow following links. you need to read carefully this will provide you a guide.

http://www.vmware.com/solutions/partners/alliances/sap.html

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-8525

and the following SAP notes will help you:

1482272 Key Figures of Virtualization on VMware ESX Server

1570141 Key Figures of Virtualization on Hyper-V

1492000 General Support Statement for Virtual Environments

1409608 Virtualization on Windows

1409604 Virtualization on Windows: Enhanced Monitoring

1246467 Hyper-V configuration guideline

1374671 High Availability in Virtual Environment on Windows

1056052 Windows: VMware vSphere configuration guidelines

1482272 Key Figures of Virtualization on VMware ESX Server

1570141 Key Figures of Virtualization on Hyper-V

1002587 Flat memory model

1316558 System hang situations on Windows Server 2003

reg

priyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priyan,

Thanks for your response.

What is P2V migration?

Please explain me the P2V functionalities ?

For above procedures after virtulizayion is their any impact on current exsiting licenses?

Before performing the Virtulization by OS team what all precautions taken by BASIS team .

Waiting for your valubale suggestions

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi SapBasis..

First thing is you should take backup for all your physical systems before doing any activity... those backups must be able to restore without any inconvenient.

Another thing you can make snapshots of your servers. they will keep the entire system to your external disk. this can be taken by a image creator like 'Clonezilla'.

then you can perform your actions.

P2V is a method making virtual system from existing physical system. I have experience only from VMware. This should be done by the IT technical team

you can create a system copy without doing P2V migration. the system copy activity is done by the BASIS with the help of Networking and database peoples.

The licensing will be affected because the entire key will be changed. but you can request from the SAP to change your licenses accoring to the new hardware flatform.

Ask SAP regarding your licensing this is not a issue i think . GOOD LUCK

reg

priyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priyan,

Thanks for your information .

Required one more clarification regarding on this.Please share your valuble inputs.

MY OS team is saying will create one mage same same image copy will restore in Virutal server(esx) no change in IP and Hostname .

Above scenario also we need to perform system copy ?

Without system copy it will work or not?

One more doubt i dont have the previous installed dump (sapinst etc) to performing system copy,in that case what we need to do to perform system copy ?

Thanks

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are assuming that the P2V migration / image will find no OS inconsistencies with driver or configuration.

In my Experience you are much better of doing a clean OS install and performing homogeneous system copies to move your systems into your new virtual hosts.

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I agree with the Juan and if you can do the system copy is much better. because that can be done your basis team. then the OS team can do the fresh installation. then you can do a system copy.

If you want to do a homoginies system copy. I will help you.

reg

priyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Juan and Priyan.

Priyan:Please sahre the procedure and it will be very help full .

ECC6.0 ehp4

Salserver2005

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

In that case you need not perform system copy.

For one of our clients, for few systems we did P2V migration, but it is my observation it took for time

than a system copy.So for reamining systems with big DB size we performed the system copy only as recommanded by Juan.

Regards,

Vishal

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Procedures are well defined on the system copy guides available at SAP Marketplace.

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI all,

My final My final question and required calrification.

I dont have previous installation dump (sapinst etc) to performing the system copy, in that case what we need to do perform the system copy.

Thanks

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What do you mean by dump?...  Depending on the approach you only need a Consistent Backup or a system Export to perform the system copy.

Regards, Juan

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you the system running which you want to copy to a virtualized environment ?

If yes , please do a system copy following the SAP system copy document

https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000514722009E.pdf

Use SAPINST to export the existing system data and install the system on the virtualized environment and import the data exported .

Follow the steps in the guide mentioned.

You should be good to go.

It is important to follow the SAP standard procedure of copying system , else for any inconsistency SAP will not support .

Regards

Ratnajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

I am following the below procedure.

Preparations ........>Export CI............>Source system

Installation databse sql server 2005

Restore the databse in target system

Import CI on the traget system.

I have taken the backup and i need to pefrom exports ( to perfrom exports we need SAP inst).

I dont have the sap software(SAPINST ) right now.

Kindly suggest

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

May be he meant to say the installation media.

You can download them from SAP service market place. Let us know in case you dont know how to download the same.

Regards,

Vishal

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to download the Installation Master then .

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

In theory if done by someone who understands his wares well snapshots will work. Snapshots will be of the entire OS and not just SAP so any OS dependencies would by and large would be take care of. And VMWare ESX Servers are pretty good in that. But this still wouldn't be 100% and work would have to be done.

However this approach is fine for non-productive instances. For production you might wanna go a bit more conservative.

And if you want to do something well documented go for system copy. How hard is it ??

Regards.

Ruchit Khushu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I need to download entire media or only Installation master file?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

If it is ABAP system then you need to download Inst master, SAP Kernel and RDBMS CDS( In case not installed on target system).

Regards,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The Master is not sufficient. you should have some aditional medias as well.

following components you need.

Master, export,  Java, Kernel, RDBMS, Patch  (  RDBMS will be used according to the DB you use ).

You can find the medias though the service marketplace.

Software Downloads -->My Company's Application Components -->My Company's Software" --> SAP NETWEAVER"  SAP NETWEAVER 7.0 -- > Installation --> Microsoft Windows --> Microsoft SQL-Server

The path will show you the requred media list.

reg

priyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

One system is ABAP+JAVA ,i am having one portal system also.

Act my system is earlier ecc6.0 system recently upgraded to EHP4 ,i am having the ecc6.0 media it will works for the syetm copy or not?

and same as my solution manager system earlier solution manager 7.0 recentrly we upgraded with ehp1 i am having the media solution manager 7.0 .

It will work for system copy ?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Installation media for source and tarhet system must be of same version. You cannot perform

system copy with old version cds.

Please download the inst media as par the current souce system version.

Regards,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moving SAP to  virtual hosts is a basic task, you need to perform a homogeneous system copy.

A virtual server should not behave different than a regular server, it provide resource flexibility and its pretty easy to administrate. Only downside is that hardware becomes single point of failure but having said that it should be fairly easy to recover from an incident.

In anycase, theres plenty of notes so have a look around SMP.

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Juan,

I am having one doubt regarding virtulization .

While doing virtulization our OS team guys saying there is no change in I.P and Hostname .

Why we need to pefrom homogenious copy.

Kindly provide your valubel suggestion .

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Any one plese suggest and guide your valubale inputs for above post.