cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup transport for EhP upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

This is my first EhP installation so I would like to ask for some comment about the transport setup.

In our current environment, the transport queue look like the follow:

D01 (DEV) > Q01 (QA) > P01 (PROD)

and we would like to change it into the following while upgrading D01 and Q01.

Queue 1: D01 > Q01
     Queue 2: D02 > P01

So, here come my questions:
1) I would like to change the copied DEV system name form D01 to D02 because if I leave it as D01 the request name will duplicate, is it a good idea?
2) In case any fix is required in PROD system during upgrade, we will modify both DEV system, would like to confirm this will be fine As I am not sure the second transport of the same object form difference system will simple overwrite the objects or not, or any type of objects will not overwrite and need to take case manually (Data maybe?)
3) How should we handle on going development which will not complete in a near future? (Release old transport request, record it down for future transport, and create new transport request in both DEV system?)
4) Anything I should do before I reconnect QA system to PROD system to make sure the transport queue will not miss anythings?

Sorry for the long question, wish it is clear enough

Regards
Bill

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) I would like to change the copied DEV system name form D01 to D02 because if I leave it as D01 the request name will duplicate, is it a good idea?

Yes, this is fine.

2) In case any fix is required in PROD system during upgrade, we will modify both DEV system, would like to confirm this will be fine As I am not sure the second transport of the same object form difference system will simple overwrite the objects or not, or any type of objects will not overwrite and need to take case manually (Data maybe?)

If some urgent changes are required, then you need to make changes in your D02 system and transport it to production. And at same time you need to replicate your changes to D01 system manually so that both the system should be in sync.

3) How should we handle on going development which will not complete in a near future? (Release old transport request, record it down for future transport, and create new transport request in both DEV system?)

Use dual maintenance strategy as explained in the upgrade guide to manage your ongoing changes. But I would recommend to transport only those changes which are urgent.

4) Anything I should do before I reconnect QA system to PROD system to make sure the transport queue will not miss anythings?

You need to make sure that whatever you have transported in PROD system from D02 system, should be copied to D01 and quality system before reconnect.

I would suggest you to read upgrade guide, this procedure is very well documented there under dual maintenance strategy.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

Thanks for the promptly reply, would you mind to let me know the full name or the link to the document you mentioned? As I also checked the document "Upgrade Guide SAP ERP 6.0 Including SAP Enhancement Package 5.pdf", it did contain the word "dual maintenance" but do not have much details inside.

I think I understand the concept about the dual maintenance strategy, but I am inexperience in some basis concept.

For example:

in point 2: I want to make sure, every change for *every type of object* I replicate in D01 will overwrite correctly when I transport after upgrade P01.

(For example, I am not sure will the data added will duplicated because I transport it to P01 to 2 times)

in point 3: I understand I will need to move the development to D02 and replicate in D01, but I am not sure how to begin as the development still continue in D01 right now, so I think I should release all the request before create the new D02 but I just want to make sure.

in point 4: I assume I replicate all change in D02 to D01, but I just not sure what should I do before I reconnect P01 as I never done that before. (For example, I should not transport to Q01 before I reconnect Q01 to P01 because the request will add to P01 queue only when we transport to Q01)

Wish it is more clear now

Regards

Bill

Message was edited by: Bill CHIE

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in point 2: I want to make sure, every change for *every type of object* I replicate in D01 will overwrite correctly when I transport after upgrade P01.

(For example, I am not sure will the data added will duplicated because I transport it to P01 to 2 times)

You need not to transfer it 2 times. E.g. If you do some changes in D02 and transfer those changes in production. Then replicate these changes manually in D01 and quality system but you should not transport it again to production after production upgrade.

in point 3: I understand I will need to move the development to D02 and replicate in D01, but I am not sure how to begin as the development still continue in D01 right now, so I think I should release all the request before create the new D02 but I just want to make sure.

Dual maintenance strategy is only to carry out emergency changes during upgrade. It should not be used to carry normal development work.

in point 4: I assume I replicate all change in D02 to D01, but I just not sure what should I do before I reconnect P01 as I never done that before. (For example, I should not transport to Q01 before I reconnect Q01 to P01 because the request will add to P01 queue only when we transport to Q01)

So, whenever required do the changes in D01 and D02 system manually. From D02, transfer changes to production environment and from D01 import it to quality environment. After that no need to import it again in production after upgrade.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

Thanks for the prompt reply again.

So you raise a important point that we should not transport it 2 times, but what if the program require emergency changes (modify in D02) also need modification while upgrade (fix in D01)?

Regards

Bill

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you have done any changes on D01 as part of some fix because of upgrade, you should not do those changes in D02. In such cases, you transport changes from D01 to quality and once production upgrade will start then you can transport same transport request in production from D01.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh... so if we done any changes on D01 as part of some fix, then we have no way to fix that program until we complete the upgrade?

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If there are any fixes that has been done as part of some fix because of upgrade, should not be transported to production till the time you will not start production upgrade.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

Sorry for the late reply, was on leave for last week.

I just re-read your reply and I think I misunderstand at first.

I think you mean:

1) It is fine to modify the same object on D01 and D02

(i.e. There are no object will cause problem in your knowledge)

2) We will need to apply modification in D02 to D01 but not vice visa

3) Do not transport the changes in D01 until PROD upgrade started

Regards

Bill

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) It is fine to modify the same object on D01 and D02

(i.e. There are no object will cause problem in your knowledge)

Yes.

2) We will need to apply modification in D02 to D01 but not vice visa

3) Do not transport the changes in D01 until PROD upgrade started

No. You need to changes manually in both D02 and D01 system. D02 change will move to production as both are on old version. D01 changes will move to quality system and no need to move these changes further.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny

Really thanks to keep answer my question.

I think my final question lie on the follow two statements:

1) No. You need to changes manually in both D02 and D01 system. D02 change will move to production as both are on old version. D01 changes will move to quality system and no need to move these changes further.

2) If you have done any changes on D01 as part of some fix because of upgrade, you should not do those changes in D02. In such cases, you transport changes from D01 to quality and once production upgrade will start then you can transport same transport request in production from D01.

For 1), I call this one as emergency fix, this is required because we find some problem in P01 which affect the operation, in this case we will modifcate it in D02, but we will also need to apply the same modification to D01, in this case D02 request will transport to P01, but D01 reuqetion will transport to Q01 and stop there, it is fine and I can understand that completely.

For 2) I call this one as bug fix for upgrade, this is required because some program do not work after upgrade, in this case, we will fix it in D01 but will not apply the same in D02 as it is not upgraded, and the request will transport from D01 to P01 once P01 done upgrade, it is also fine and I can understand that.

Any my question is what if both emergency fix and bug fix for upgrade required for the same object?

Wish this make my question clear.

Regards

Bill

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have not come across such situation. But if you face such problem then that point you need to make sure that you do the things in proper order after analyzing the system object carefully.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

Thanks for all the help.

I just wonder how the transport stuff work, in the case of emergency fix, the modification request in D01 will stop at Q01.

But after the upgrade, the object may need to modify again for some reason, so I may need to transport the object to P01 in anothers request, and I think this will work if upgrade document suggest us to use dual maintenance.

But if the above case is valid, it look like I can just transport the emergency fix request in D01 all the way to P01, as it is just a version which that same as the one already in P01.

So, I think I am missing the reason why I should stop the request at Q01, would like mind to answer my very last question on the transport stuff?

Regards

Bill

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Emergency fix you will carry out in D02-P01 system. And same you will replicate to D01-Q01 system manually so that all systems remain in sync. Same you need not to move to P01 after upgrade because system already contains the changes.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

Would like to confirm I *should not* transfer form D01 to P01, or I *don't need to* only?

Regards

Bill

Message was edited by: Bill CHIE

Answers (0)